Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I make this mod??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Yes - looks fine

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No - doesn't look right

70 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I went ahead and bought an ash tray (bridge cover) for my jazz 5 banger, knowing there was a good chance it might not fit because they don't specifically make a cover for a 5 string. This is a 4 string standard cover. Does it fit?

It does and it doesn't.

Hey, it is a bridge cover, but as you can see from the pictures it covers the bridge, but not the bridge pickup. It only covers part of the bridge pickup.

It looks kind of weird.

On the upside, as a finger player, I can play with my thumb anchored on the bridge pickup which you couldn't do on a 4 stringer with a bridge cover because the bridge pickup is also covered.

So before Idecide whether to "make the bass totally mine" by drilling bridge cover holes into the 5 banger I thought I'd get an opinion whether I should do it or whether it looks too goofy.

2. If you like it, go ahead, but I think it is a little weird. Fender should make a wider bridge cover, I'm sure plenty of people would buy them.

3. yes... looks very good!
    i love bridge covers!

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Kinda makes the fiver look a bit stealthy. Looks more stock. Does that model have the five inline? Or 4+1?

I have no idea why they ever made the 4+1 configuration. It looks more like a hack than something stock. If yours has the 5 inline, and you put the ashtray on, people will be doing double takes to even dig that it's a fiver.

Regardless, the ashtray looks sweet.

5. its funny that the poll so far is polar opposite of every comment made so far!

why not some of you negative guys and gals say why you don't think it would look good?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks funky to me, it's supposed to hide the pickup, not just the bridge. I say wear it right or don't wear it at all.

By that I mean pull up your pants and stop showing your underwear.

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I like it. I say you should go for it!

8. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    It's a '96 so it has the inline 5 tuners, but not the vintage cloverleaf style, they're the more contemporary style, but they are very nice tuners (gotoh).

FYI: I'm leaning toward the big drill. It's not like a high end jazz or anything.

9. i am not a fan... but it isn't my bass

10. +1

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wouldn't do it. It looks cheesy. It is obvious the cover is not meant for that bass, and anyone who knows anything about Fender basses is going to know that. Don't embarass yourself with a half-right mod.

-Mike

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I tend to agree with Mike on this one.

13. Looks like a hack job, I say definitely no. Nothing worse than when you can tell a bass has been modded........badly. No offense intended, just being honest.

14. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree. Doesnt really work for me unless it does exactly what its supposed to do. But im not really one to go for the whole pick-up cover and bridge cover deal.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Same here. I personally think bridge covers look ugly and I fail to see any functionality. I'll bet string changes and setup/action adjustments would be really fun with an ashtray on board (*sarcasm*)

But it's not my bass.

If you wish to put an ashtray on it, it has to look 'right' or it will look completely half-assed.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I ain't diggin' it. I've never been a huge fan of ashtray covers on Fenders.

17. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the great comments. Now leaning toward "no". Damn shame it doesn't cover the bridge pup 'cause in general, I like that look on an already somewhat vintage looking bass.

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya