1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I part ways with my jazz to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by southpaw723, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Yesh

18 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Naw

105 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I've been dying to get a ric, obviously that's a big chunk of change. I've been thinking about selling my jazz bass to get a bit closer to the goal but it has some sentimental value to me. I put the custom shop 60's pups in it too. However, if I got the ric I probably wouldn't use it nearly as much. I purchased a fake rick and liked it a lot but I really want the real thing. I play that more than my jazz. Any advice?
    I have tried out a couple rics and DO enjoy playing them
    EDIT: I'm gonna save the jazz bass!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you certain you will love the Ric as much as the Jazz? Rics come with quirks. You can find more than a couple posts on TB about players who lusted for them for years only to find out they hate actually playing them.

Eikari, hintz, Funkabilly and 10 others like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Any time you sell an instrument, you lose a LOT of money, unless you got it used at a good price. And I wouldn't buy a Ric without trying it out first. You may love it, you may hate it, and then you will be out both money and a bass.

Better - start saving HARD. Take that beer money, that coffee money, that movie money, and put it away, until you have enough.

4. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    IMG_6316.PNG Couple more pics IMG_0036.JPG

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    never sell.

fcleff, Rebel Rocker, edencab and 3 others like this.
  6. I got a Ric recently. A 4003S. Haven't touched my Jazz since and it plays great. I just find the Jazz sounds "meh" in comparison and with some fiddling the Ric fits pretty much anywhere but I agree about playing before buying if possible. I didn't but have had a few in the past so I pretty much knew what I was getting.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    1. How much are you expecting to pay for a Ric?

2. Is your credit good.

...asking before I type out my detailed response.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have always come back to a jazz. You will hate yourself.

Qlanq, TH63, fcleff and 6 others like this.
  9. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I can get a new one for $2000. There's basically no used market out there for lefties. I have a student credit card that I was thinking of putting around half on.

10. This I wouldn't do but no one listens to me.

11. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    My advice? Keep the Jazz, cut up all your credit cards, save up and buy the Ric.

12. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    You already said the Jazz is sentamental. So you’re asking for sellers remorse. No, for that reason. Delay gratification for a few (or a bunch) more months. In a lifetime of bass playing it’s very short term. My first Jazz is sentimental to me so the old MIM is not for sale.

13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Leave the card out of this. Save for your next bass.

By the time you get there your ideas may have changed.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Unless you have to rollover the Jazz before you can buy the Ric, I'd suggest you get the Ric first and wait a few months to see how you feel. If you decide at that point you won't miss the Jazz, or you haven't played at all since you got the Ric, then go ahead sell it.

15. Get some good-paying gigs, save the money, buy whatever you want & keep the old stuff.

TH63, Border, TN WOODMAN and 2 others like this.
  16. MrKeef

MrKeef

Feb 15, 2018
    I sold a cheap peavey for 100$ that I bought for 80$ to go towards an upgrade.. I regret selling that bass because it was a known quantity.. It played well. Couldn't imagine selling a much higher priced instrument at a loss to upgrade to something else. I get too attached.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  17. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Convince yourself that your bass is the best damned bass on the planet, then remember that you'd regret selling that one. Focus on the music and you'll save $$$$$.

Lesgo, Bass Man Dan, chris_b and 2 others like this.
  18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Why do you consider going from a Jazz to Ric and upgrade? Love the way Rics look and sound, hate the way they play.

19. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I tried a Ric and didn't like it. I kept my Jazz Bass and I'm sure glad of it. But plenty of other people like Rics and that is great. To each his own preference. I would recommend as others have - keep the Jazz for a period of time after you have bought the Ric. Then you will be able to make an unpressured decision. I would bet that over half of the people that actually bought Rics didn't like them long term and got rid of them.

Kokoman likes this.
  20. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    For the same amount of money you can get something way less useless, almost as gorgeous, and ten hundred times cooler: a Yamaha XS1100.

Regardless of what you do spend your dough on, going Fender-less after having had a proper Fender is something that I can almost guarantee that you'll find regrettable.

TN WOODMAN likes this.