1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I re-join?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tylerrr51, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Me and my (at the time) friend/gui**** were in a band with a really good drummer. we all got along, until it was time to practice. The drummer who is a mike portnoy fanatic insisted that we have to be progressive metal and strictly that, nothing else. i was fine with that and i just played off of his beats but the guitarist had a whole different view on this and came up with riffs the drummer hated. I would noodle around on my bass while they would argue because any time I offered advice it was ignored. I told them that we are forcing ourselves to one genre and should play what ever comes to us and let that decide the band, they quickly shot that down and would go back to arguing. this happened EVERY band practice which was 4 days a week. we never had any songs down and the band broke up.

That was a good 5 months ago.

The drummer and gui**** came to me a month ago and asked if i would redo the band if things were to be different, i said yes. but during this month they never told me about ANY practices and made the drummers brother who's a part time bassist play. I never heard anything about this until yesterday when the bassist quit. I got a call from the drummer asking me if i would rejoin and come to practice which was the same day. I said I would come to practice but am not sure if I would join. That day at practice we were on fire, wrote a song, communicated well, and the sound was great. (I even started talking to the gui**** again after I got tired of his antics involving tweaking with my gear a few months back.)

Now this is where I look to the TB community for help, should i give it another try? or should i give it 1 more practice to close the deal?

Thanks a ton in advance.

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Yeah, hang with them for a bit and see what happens. They are known quantities and if the 'vibe' is better than the music you all make should reflect it.

BUT, keep your options open. Keep looking for another group of players. Most people I know are involved in 3 or 4 "projects" few of which actually gig, but have grandiose ideas similar to your drummer's monolithic style of music.

3. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    I would say, stick with it. But keep your eyes peeled. If you sense that they are slipping back into their old ways, then get out quick. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

S.P.

4. This. When it stops being fun, it's time to bail.

5. Sounds like they've got themselves sorted out finally - stick with it and see where it goes! ...whats the worst that can happen? You appear to have already drawn the line with the amount of crap you'll put up with by walking out once...they'll know you can do that again right?

6. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    id say no! they already tried to replace you with someone who just flaked out. It looks like there trying to use you as an emergency backup, and if you agree theyll keep doing just that. Iv had this happen to me ALOT. I have the same person ask me at least once a month now and then tells me hes got another bassist a week later

7. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    I'm officially done because the scrawny gui**** was talking behind my back. the same gui**** who always says hes better than eddie van halen, makes adjustments with peoples instruments and doesn't know what hes doing, and lacks completely in personality. I'm going to pick up my amp from the drummers house tomorrow.

8. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Music can be an emotional roller-coaster. Hang in there.

X8

9. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Thanks alot, and I saw your signature the other day and laughed :)

10. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    It's a story as old as music itself. Boy meets band, boy loses band, boy asked to come back to band while gui**** talks trash behind boy's back.

Gotta love the classics.:D;)

11. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Hah, Ill keep that in mind.

12. I think you should give it a try, but keep expectations low. I think I can say with a certain amount of freedom that people that grew to have annoying traits at one point go back to being "normal" out of being desperate, and then the cycle starts again.

13. Screw those losers. Cut your losses now and move on. Leave the legend in their own mind "Van Halen " brothers behind.

14. Like others have said cut your losses. Music should be about having fun, not getting screwed over. Usually the latter happens to often, just learn from this and keep your head held high.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There are so many things wrong with these guys, I can't see you doing anything but wasting time with them.

Of course, you may be wasting time with some other guys, I dunno.

Under the circumstances you describe, I wouldn't work with them, but I'd also be a whole lot more assertive than you seem to have been. :meh:

16. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Nope. Glad you bailed. Issues like that don't just go away cuz they talked. Its too deep seated. Drama like that makes me suspicious of personality type.

17. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Thanks alot you guys, Im picking my amp up from the practice space tomorrow.