1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I stop playing my Gretsch because of electronics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Unemploid, May 16, 2018.

1. I tryed to film an effects demo today and once I started recording I got no sound coming from my bass. This happened before at a gig.

I should get a second bass, but should I stop playing hollowbodys? Repairing the jacks and pots are a hassle.

FINAL UPDATE:
    A cable needs to be resoldered to the input jack. Are my panet wave cables to blame or is the common?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    You should get it fixed. But yeah, repairing the electronics in a hollow body are more complicated than a solid. I don't think you should stay away from hollow bodies if you prefer them.

Unemploid likes this.
  3. The repairs themselves are not the hassle; it's the getting the wiring harness into and out of the f-holes. But you face that dilemma with almost any hollowbody. Which Gretsch is it?

4. Gretsch g5123b

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG '94 G6119BO-LH. Personally? yeah, I'd just pay what it's gonna cost, for someone to suffer the frustration of fixing it. And, count yourself lucky; this thing really needs to have everything replaced. Especially the stupid ceramic-magnet Filtertrons. Gretsch guitar players will kill for a vintage, uber twangy set of pickups like these. In a bass, though? Oh HELL no.. I don't have any need/desire for a bass that sounds like Duane Eddy's guitar...:whistle:

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I like the first photo; reminds me of an old basement. :D

Post and Beam.

ak56, DeliriumTremens and Unemploid like this.
  7. Are these the same pickups as on the 5440LSB? I'm okay with those basses, but the thing that is keeping me from bonding with them is I *cannot* snuggle up to that sound -- not with rounds, not with flats, not with tapes. Even the G6072 reissue sound has some character, although to me the sound suggests Rickenbacker.

The vintage Supertrons, however, are another matter entirely . . . .

8. No they're tv jones thunder trons