1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I take a punt.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kara_05, Feb 23, 2008.

1. kara_05

kara_05

Nov 18, 2007
    Australia
    G&L Tribute L2000 Vs. Fender MIM P Active Deluxe

Ok - I am in the process of getting another bass and have been looking at the Fender MIM but before I go back and buy this bass I would like to get some feedback on the G&L Tribute. I have heard very good reports on this bass with the only downside being that the electronics can be a bit noisy.

SO should I buy a G&L Tribute over the Fender MIM - the G&L would be sight unseen (so far the only place I can get one in Australia is in Melbourne and I live in Perth over 3000kms away) OR go with the bass that I can play first ????

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The G&L does the P-bass sound and 20,000 more. The necks are very large and they are typically heavy, but they are a much finer bass for the money IMO.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    What the heck does that even mean? If you want genuine help then just ask your question in the subject line when you post the thread.

"G&L Tribute L2000 vs. Fender MIM P Active Deluxe?"

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Probably a colorful Australian colloquialism.

Kara_05 I think earwigger gave you some good advice. Although I'm a fender fan I'd pick any G&L over an MIM fender.

5. LOL! Hypothetical question: If we erased all the TB threads with... er, unclear subject lines, who many threads would be left?

Kara, does your budget really limit you to a MIM Fander, or could you squeeze a bit moe cash into the fund?

I also think that, for the money, you might be able to get a second-hand CIJ.

But I have no idea what these things cost in Australia. You're pretty far from the world down there and I've heard that the prices are significantly higher for stuff like this.

BUt I still think that the second-hand route is a good way to go in terms of getting a better bang for the buck.

However, between those two, I guess the Tribute would be the better buy -- so long as you're okay with a chunky neck. I'd say that whichever axe feels better when you strap it on is the winner.

6. You all never heard the expression 'to take a punt'?I'm in Ireland and I've heard of it.A 'punter' is the general term for a spender of money.The people who pay to see concerts are 'punters'.In fact keeping the punters happy is paramount.It also refers to people of the betting fraternity who 'take a punt' on a horse,a greyhound,on whether or not there'll be snow on Xmas day etc..To take a punt on a bass means to spend money and hope you're lucky in the deal.

7. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    I would defenitally go with the L2k. The quality of the Tributes is better than any MIM Fender in my personal experience. Besides the fact that you can get so many different sounds out of it, its also got an active/passive switch which has recently saved my ass. Im not sure if the Deluxe P has that option i cant remember :confused: In any case the neck does take some getting used if your used to playing a thinner jazz type neck but its comfortable and took me about 10 minutes to wonder to myself why i wasnt going to buy this bass just because of its neck width. I have some small hands and this neck is like my bitch now :bassist: The MIM deluxe P is a nice bass, but come on! for the quality and price of the Tributes......it's a steal :smug:

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Yes. Keep the pickups though and stuff the rest of the guts, get an active preamp of some sort other than G & L, if you want to have an active bass, or keep it passive , but rewire it so that you have a vol-blend-tone rolloff.

You can also rewire the pickup switching with 2 on-on-on switches and have on board, single coil,parallel or series for each pickup as opposed to having that as an either/or option for both pickups.

9. Another +1 for the G&L.

Mind you, I´m a P bass fanatic but I much prefer them passive. I´m not a big fan of Fender onboard pre-amps, especially if you can´t switch ´em off. The MIM P deluxe sounds nice, but not particularly impressive.

The L-2000 OTOH is a tone monster, lots of sounds and all of them useable, plus - as mentioned above - a passive option (which sounds great as well). Simply more bang for the buck (or is it "punch for the punt"? :D) IMHO.

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    G&L, no doubt about it.

11. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Bass People in Sydney also has a good selection of G&L and Fender.

12. and where is this world you speak of?

have a look at importing a cij fender, ishibashi

13. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I own both (kinda - the MIM P/J is passive) - The G&L has an enormous amount of tone settings at your fingertips. Contrary to what some people say, the switches and cut knobs aren't difficult to learn, and the possibilities are seemingly endless. It's a lot of fun to get to know this bass. People bitch about the weight, but some people bitch just to bitch. It's a meaty bass and it feels like a weapon in your hands.

That being said, I currently like my MIM P/J more (probably because I just picked it up at a pawn shop, and it only cost me $250)...It's a perfect bass for me - I really don't like the color and pickguard very much and the strings are almost shot, but it's a joy to play. The Jazz neck is quick and perfect, and the P-Bass tone is the sound that I've loved since I was a kid. The J pup in the bridge is quite good as well.

I'm not kicking either one of these to the curb any time soon, and you probably can't lose choosing between these two basses.

Good luck. Cheers

14. kara_05

kara_05

Nov 18, 2007
    Australia
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Found a store where I live that has a used G&L SB2 - might go and take a look at that and get a feel for the neck and see what I think of the Korean G&L bass guitars. If i still cant decide I might just go for gold and get something like a MIA Fender which I could see myself keeping for a long time.

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    A little late, but I remember Bricktop using the Term "punters" in the movie Snatch and he was referring to an underground boxing match.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to have a link to Aussie slang in my sig, purely because I couldn't tell when I was dipping into colloquialisms. Maybe I should bring it back :)

Oldboy you're correct, but in a broader sense, a punter is a gambler, and that's the context in which the thread title should be used (i.e. Should I take the gamble?)

Kara, what sort of music do you play? Those two basses you're considering sound quite different to each other, so a bit more information about your intended use will make for more meaningful suggestions.