1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SHould I upgrade my bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xanthyon, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Ok, so im starting up a band with my buddies. We're starting to work on material and plan to be doin venues/gigs in a couple of months. So, I'm currently saving up for a halfstack/head n wat not, but i started thinking i need to upgrade my bass as well. Im using an Ibanez GSR200. The GSR200 plays well, but i cant keep up with my buddies n there Les Pauls :meh: Plus, we're gonna be recording very soon, n i dont think the GSR will handle that too well. Soo, rather then go out n drop around $500 on a new bass i was thinking of buying an SX for the time being and use it as my main bass, and if i really like it, maybe eventually drop EMG's in it who knows. So, what do you guys think, should i just keep savin or just pick up an SX for the time being? Would the SX outperform my GSR?

Was lookin at the SX PJB Scorpion, anyone know how it would handle recording and venues?

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    My buddies dad gigged with a gsr200 and loved that thing

i think your real problem is you need a better amp first get a decent amp that can crank some wattage out and then play your ibanez i think you'll notice it sounds alot btter and performs pretty well

if you still dont like it a set of seymour duncan sp3 for 60$ would probably amkes that bass sound alot more punchy'

anyways my advice get an amp first

3. yea i was thinking that, but to me the GSR just doesnt like wow me u know? I guess i should really play it through a really good amp before i make up my mind, but im really interested in those SX's lol.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That woudl be my recomendation.

If you aren't happy with it after than, then consider a different bass.

A decent amp can make all the difference in the world.

5. Do any of you think an SX would perform better than a GSR?

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    depends on which sx , i think a gsr200 would out perform one honestly i have played both and would take an ibanez

7. was thinking the Scorpion SX

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    hmm i think the difference between that and your gsr would not differ that much i am still thinking 1.) get a better amp 2.) play the GSR and if it sounds kinda better drop some emgs's in that

9. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Dude, do not get that scorpion SX. That's far and away the cheesiest lamest bass Rondo offers. IMO.

10. rubato

rubato

Feb 16, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    no.

11. My first bass was a GSR200 too. I got it 6 years ago and I'm still jamming on it..I've gigged it a bunch of times too. Seriously, go with the new amp then buy a new bass when you have the money. I wouldn't bother upgrading the GSR IMHO, I'd use that cash towards a new bass.

12. That depends upon the model and the situation. I love my ATK700 but it just doesn't sound right with the band I'm in right now so I mostly play my passive Squier and SX p-basses... sometimes one of my SX j-basses.

I'd agree with the advice to get a better amp and see how your GSR200 sounds first. Then get an SX even if you like and keep the GSR200.;)

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i think we have ypur answer dude

btw what amp are u playing right now? and what are you upgrading to?

14. comingxcurse

comingxcurse

Apr 8, 2009
    Largo, FL
    The Ibanez Soundgear was actually my first bass. I sold it to a friend so I could afford the one I have now. When I lost a bridge saddle (stupidly) I "stole" it back and did a few shows with it, and still played it even after I fixed the saddle issue. Soundgears are damn good for what they are (IMNSHO)

If you're really unhappy with the sound, maybe invest in better pickups. It will take a few hundred bucks off your solution. And while you're having them installed you could also have the action lowered if you're having trouble keeping up. I'd go with new pickups and an amp:hyper:

If your bass has the same pickup setting that I had on my soundgear: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Bass/3/EMG_Select_Bass_Pickups.html