should of done this a long time ago....

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by what the pluck, Jan 16, 2016.

1. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    I am not an orchestral player but I play arco most of the time. I have never really felt 100% comfortable with my posture playing french, standing or sitting. I decide to try 2 things that I hadn't, a bent endpin and a german bow, standing. I made the endpin myself, it was easy, 16mm steel tube bent at 44 degrees, I just went with that angle as it seems to be what people are saying around this forum. I bought a second hand pernambuco German bow off ebay and had it rehaired.

I wish I tried this a long time ago, the balance of the bass and the focus of my arms working together has really come into play and I feel very comfortable, for the first time i have really been able to nail things with my right arm.

The weight just seems to be focused better for me with the German bow. I feel as though a lot of issues i have been trying to over come have been solved. For one, I prefer to stand but have been using a stool because my hand health was number 1 and I couldn't find a balance that didn't put weight on my thumb when standing, the bent endpin has fixed this. Secondly, after practicing like this for a little while I have found that slight soreness I had in my right top fore arm has gone. I think this was due to me not being able to get the weight correctly on the string with a french bow and now playing in what seems to be a much more comfortable posture wise is kind of like the exercise I needed to do, to stretch those muscles (I know it sounds weird) and the tightness has gone. And as a bonus, If this works out I don't need to carry a stool to gigs anymore.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this as this for me feels like a nice step forward and my playing has opened up, and I really feel in sync. It's always been my right hand that didn't keep up with my left hand and I think I've solved that.

Or am I being just a bit too zen?

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    @what the pluck, if it makes you happy and it makes you play better, what's not to like. I came by German much more easily but I feel like I can do more with French so I'm sticking with it, and I also play viola a bit and there is some benefit to my French bass playing from my viola playing, so that's another reason for me to stick with what I'm doing now.

-S-

3. basic74

basic74

Dec 28, 2012
    europe
    can´t be too much zen

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022