1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

should the weather be effecting my neck this much!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by drewphishes, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    I have 3 basses in the same room.

a jazz bass with maple neck rosewood board

a p bass with maple/maple

and a peavey 5 string with a graphite neck (obv uneffected)

The room is not air conditioned and it sometimes get a little humid. The jazz bass neck sometimes bows an insane amount that when I pick it up it looks like a c almost. The p bass neck is almost never effected. I turn the truss rod a couple times on the jazz and it seems to even it back out but I am worried I am going to break something eventually.

is this normal?

2. I don't think that's normal. I live where the humidity goes up and down as well (60 to 85%). I don't have to do a truss rod job on my basses but I have to tweak the tuning.

Sounds like you have one bass (the Jazz) that is overly susceptible to humidity for some reason.

3. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Yea I dont really know what to do about it? contact fender maybe?

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    You may want to invest in a dehumidifier.
    Or a window A.C.
    For your basses.
    If not for your own comfort

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    there is a window ac which I turn on multiple times a week. But jeez it shouldnt get messed up this bad its kind of nuts

6. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Perhaps the issue is with the truss rod, not the whole neck?

7. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    how do i determine that?

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I would bet that the would wasn't dried out sufficiently before the finish was applied. I've had a few necks with the problem you're having, and that's why (according to my repair guy who I trust). They need adjusting more often, might only move at the head stock when you adjust, or end up twisted eventually. If it is still under warranty, I would get a new neck put on that thing. I have a Mexican Jazz that I adjusted once when I got it earlier this year, and it lives in a closet that gets quite humid. The neck hasn't budged on it.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Some necks are more reactive than others, whether they were made from well-dried wood or not. The key to a stable neck is the quality of the wood and the degree to which that wood is sealed. Your best bet is to avoid large swings in the relative humidity of the bass's environment.

96tbird, gebass6 and drewphishes like this.
  10. I keep my instruments in the same room that I inhabit all day. You might consider moving this one trouble item to your living room.

affect = verb
    effect = noun

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  11. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I had a fender jazz fmt, loved the tone, but the neck on it bowed & shifted quite frequently, I finally got tired of having to adjust the truss rod so often, & sold it.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, basses with thinner necks are affected more easily by humidity changes.

Badwater, 96tbird and Killed_by_Death like this.
  13. unless they're old & been through it already
    the thin neck on my Ibanez SRX is 9 years old & is fine, but I also keep it around 69-75F and between 40-60%RH.

96tbird likes this.
  14. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Yea I had it the right way and over thunk if and went to effect. Dammit

JGbassman and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Adjusting a neck isn't a big deal and usually takes moments to do. Over time wood stabilizes and you'll have to do it less often. As long as it remains straight it is not a wood defect or product defect. If it warps or twists then that is a defect. It is merely the characteristic of the wood YOUR BASS neck has that it swings with humidity. Yes mass produced instruments can be more susceptible because the wood isn't dried as long as a small maker might do but as long as it's straight, maintain it and it should stabilize in time.

It's weird to me that someone would tire of maintaining their instruments: a labor of love. I guess they don't love them enough to deal with it. No sense in keeping something you don't love I guess.

16. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Are you always having to tighten the truss rod? Is the neck always bowing in the same direction? Or does it alternate between too much relief, and too little?

And how often does it need adjustment?

If it is alternating, it is not unusual for an otherwise good neck to move with humidity changes (usually seasonal).

If it is always moving in only one direction, it may eventually stabilize, or it may continue until you run out of adjustment.

-

17. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I'd agree that construction and quality of wood plays more into it than neck size.

I have an SR 505 with a laminated neck that never moves. It's relatively thin but I'd say the superior build techniques and wood quality keep it from having issues. Same with my 85 MIJ maple board PBass. I think The last time I had to tweak the truss rod was 10 years ago.

My MIM precision neck moves a lot based on humidity, as does my American Fender Jazz Standard Five string, but my Jaco Sig fretless, which is highly sensitive to neck movements gets tweaked about once a year.

With my necks that move, I've been keeping them stored in a dark, climate controlled room with the humidity kept at pretty much the same place via a dehumidifier. So far it seems I've had to tweak them less, but I'm not picking them up every day either to play them as they are stored in a separate house than I live in.

I'd suggest sealing the room and running a dehumidifier in there for a month. See if that changes anything. If it's anything like the crazy humidity changes of the Midwest (changing from 52% to 96% humidity in the next 24 hours) that will help stabilize the wood a little.

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am not sure it has much to do with quality honestly.

The neck on my Ibanez Mikro seems surprisingly stable and it's a bass with a relatively slim neck to under 200$ from new.

I guess with budget basses it is just more random and luck dependent what you get, seems like I was lucky.

And unfortunately there is not any real way to check this particular issue out when buying a new bass.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  19. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If not "quality" then what would you say supports your description of "surprisingly stable"?

20. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    It's not the drying time that's the determinant, it's the material selection. Mass producers use the wood at hand and don't select each individual piece for its suitability - they can't afford to do that. Sure they will reject really bad pieces, but in volume manufacture "good enough" is what's chosen. And "good enough" falls within a defined manufacture failure rate. So "good enough" means everything from "superb" to "barely acceptable".