1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show us your Martin Keith Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 77stingray, Apr 15, 2017.

1. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    I just received my first Martin Keith Bass. It is a 32" scale semi-Hollow body with both piezo and magnetic pickups. I know there are more TB'ers with Martin Keith basses, because I've seen them from time to time. I would love to see the pictures and specs posted in one place and also encourage some sound clips if you have them! Martin is making Hollow body, Semi-hollow body, and solid body basses (and nice acoustic guitars as well). I will post some sound clips in a week or so! Here is my build thread
    Martin Keith Elfin Semi-Hollow Body Build
    and Martins Website Martin Keith Guitars IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3803.JPG

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I am on my way out the door (in a minute, anyway) so I'll post more later, but.............. how did you use my back yard to make these photos? :jawdrop: :p

Here's my Elfin 5 fretless. I bought this from Martin at the 2010 NAMM Show; this bass was featured in a review in the June 2010 issue of Bass Player. :bassist:

Elfin-Front-1200_9122.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved.

Spruce top, walnut body, ziricote fingerboard, Martin's special sauce passive harness with Citron pickups.

3. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Awesome! Look Ma no lines!

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Will have this beauty real soon....
    IMG_3246.JPG 17796353_10154522726127005_5765278169906877757_n.

5. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Wouldn't want to obscure that great looking fingerboard!

Elfin-Fingerboard-1200_9145.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    what type of wood is that fret board ? that's Purdy

is it passive ? I have listen to Martin demo some of the Viellette basses and love the tone of those Citron PU's

7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That's ziricote. I asked Martin for the same on the fretted Elfin 5 he made for me in 2011. Yes, passive harnesses (VPT). The tone control has a pull switch to change the operation of the pan control. When pushed down the pan works as expected, going from on Citron humbucking pickup to the other. When pulled up, the pan goes from the two outer coils to the two inner coils of the pickups, in the middle being all four coils.

Here's the fretted Elfin 5. Birdseye maple top, walnut body.

Full-Front-1200-0318.
    Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2011 All rights reserved.

Binding-Detail-1200_0357.

Headstock-1200_0363.

Jeff-800_9244.
    Photograph Copyright © SAW 2010 All rights reserved.

Jeff_1200a-0498.
    Photograph Copyright © SAW 2011 All rights reserved.

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm in Yosemite National Park right now. Will post my five basses when I can. :D

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Were are you at, exactly? High country? April is our favorite time to go there! :thumbsup: I made these photographs on a couple of trips, in April 1998 (IIRC), and in April 1990 (this view was at the suggestion of Bruce Barnbaum; this is an area most folks don't venture out to!).

Bridal Veil Fountain-1200_1437.
    Bridal Veil Fountain. Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 1998 All rights reserved.

Yosemite Valley From Granite Shelf-1200_1444.
    The Valley. Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 1990 All rights reserved.

smperry and 77stingray like this.
  10. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Martin is a member here.. He personally helped me with my first build. Talk about a nice guy.

77stingray, Fuzzbass and emjazz like this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

20140927_222603. 20140717_181946. 20140727_013108. 20140906_210120. 20140727_001455.

I need some better pictures. The last one shows the Luminlay side dots after they were activated with the LED flashlight (included).

I've used this bass with all of my bands, from hard rock to classic rock/R&B to pop/blues/country. So versatile!

Specs: alder body, pearl red finish (glows nicely under stage light), maple neck and board, 34.5" scale, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, passive tone control, Nordstrand reverse P-bass pickup (neck), Nordstrand Music Man pickup (bridge), push/pull switches for active/passive, and series/parallel (the MM pickup).

12. Fuzzbass

Oh, one more: selfie that includes my new-at-the-time Reiner Amplification Studio 1200 amp. I got the Keith and the Reiner in 2015.

20150314_224117.

13. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Here is a recording from yesterday's Resurrection Sunday (Easter) morning service. I'm just stage right, by the drums; and you can see Martin's handiwork on a couple of shots. The bass cuts through pretty clear, too. Warning: I tend to overplay :bag:

Maiden Bass, 77stingray and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I don't own one of Martin's basses, though I've met him and he's a class act guy. Immensely talented.

15. Fuzzbass

Forgot to mention: 4 month turnaround. For me, that's the fastest ever for a custom build.

Maiden Bass and Ricky Caboverde like this.
  16. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I bought an Elfin second-hand that unfortunately had some strange setup issues that I could not figure out (I had thought it was a twisted neck). He offered to take a look at it, and ended up giving it a fret dressing at no cost to me other than paying for the shipping; and I only had to ship the neck and the bridge (lower shipping cost). The neck and bridge came back...I bolted them back on...and the bass played so effortlessly! That level of customer service, which is far beyond what should be expected, is what won me over. "Class act" and "immensely talented" are definitely words I would use to express my experience with him as well.

IMG_1111.

77stingray, emjazz and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    As was his dad, Bill. :cool:

77stingray likes this.
  18. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I keep wanting to buy my dad a Martin Keith guitar, since he's a guitarist and his name is Martin Keith (he goes by M. Keith or just the middle name Keith, but still). Our last name is ALSO the name of a guitar company, albeit not really a known or prestigious one. Fun!

19. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Ok, I've never owned a Martin Keith bass and I'm not a super huge fan of singlecut basses, but that bass that he's holding on his website on the ABOUT page has got to be one of the single, most beautiful instruments I've ever seen! That bass is just gorgeous! It doesn't look like any of the other MK models. Anyone know anything about that bass?

20. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    No idea, but I'd venture to guess that it's probably an early model he built for himself.