Show Your Pandemic Mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 18, 2021.

1. Finally whacked a switchcraft jack with cloth covered wire in the Squier CV 50's SCPB P and replaced the 0.047 cap with a 0.1uf... also some rewire tidying...

IMG_7482.jpg

...and some cloth covered wire in the correct colour for the Vintera P

So pandemic mods for this new bass are pickguard, Curtis Novak pups, shielding, rewire and cap switch.

BBEA46CB-5376-4FC3-9AB0-9C75CCC79159.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg
    Cheers !

Rezdog, WI Short Scaler and JimmyM like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

JimmyM likes this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    JimmyM and 2saddleslab like this.
  5. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    My pandemic project resulted in what I call my "Lockdown Bass." It came about early in the summer of 2020. It started out with an MJT body on ebay that I couldn't pass up: A very lightweight swamp ash slab finished in Candy Apple Red. The neck was a brand-new Fender reissue '51 style neck made in Mexico. It is a baseball bat and feels like the real deal. Being shiny, bright, and brand-new, it looked wrong with the vintagy looking body and required a good deal of aging. Tinted lacquer took care of that. Old-school styled Res-O-Light tuners helped keep the weight down and maintained good balance as well as looking like they belong. The pickup is an SD Antiquities II which apparently is modeled on a late '60's Tele pickup. It all came together amazingly well. Folks often seem to think it's the real deal dating back to the early '50's.

1_0.JPEG 2_0.JPEG 5_0.JPEG 8_0.JPEG 2_0.JPEG

The last picture is the configuration that I actual use to play it. No pickup cover.

6. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Bass is back! Pictures to prove it happened.
    29984D9E-0141-4EFB-93E9-90E52539F11E.jpeg 78DE8E40-6F4B-4578-87A6-B12DE1265FB6.jpeg 66C3149E-FF1C-46DF-8EA7-9555457A8FF4.jpeg

Gustopher, Pimmsley, JimmyM and 3 others like this.
  7. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Guess it's not breaking news......love everything about that beauty!:thumbsup:

8. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Forgot to mention that I really like the Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Oil - allows a lot of flexibility in the finish based on number of coats. A thin coat for people that like a raw neck feel or multiple coats for more of a gloss finish (what I did). Just need to apply in thin coats and properly sand in between. This is also the stock finish for EBMM instruments.

59jazz and JimmyM like this.
  9. Amazing stuff ! Well done :)

mojomike001 and JimmyM like this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

Pimmsley and JimmyM like this.
  11. Corrington

Corrington

Sep 13, 2020
    I've been busy... =)

Schecter Stiletto Stealth Bass

* Replaced the stock P-bass pickup with a DiMarzio Relentless Middle (SKU: DP296GB)

Ibanez Mezzo SRMD200 Medium Scale Bass
    * Replaced the stock bridge with an Ibanez B100 Bass Bridge
    * Replaced the stock electronics with an EMG BTS System
    * Replaced the stock pickups with an EMG PJ Set
    * Added copper foil to the control cavity and behind the pickguard

SX URSA 2 LT MN Medium Scale Bass
    * Replaced the stock bridge with a Fender High Mass Bridge
    * Replaced the stock electronics with an EMG J Wiring Kit
    * Replaced the stock pickups with an EMG JVX Set

Schecter PT Standard Guitar
    * Replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh locking tuners
    * Replaced the stock pickups with DiMarzio Twang King

Schecter C-1 Platinum Guitar
    * Replaced the stock EMG pickups with EMG 57TW/66TW Humbucker Set
    * Replaced stock electronics with EMG Push/Pull Wiring Kit
    * Replaced switch and output jack with Switchcraft 3-way toggle and output jack
    * Replaced stock tuners with Gotoh locking tuners

* Replaced the stock EMG pickups with EMG H4/H4A Passive Humbucker Set [Meh]
    * Replaced stock electronics with Bourns pots and Switchcraft 3-way toggle and output jack

* Replaced the stock EMG pickups with DiMarzio Super Distortion & Super 2 [LOVE THESE]
    * Replaced stock electronics with Bourns pots, Switchcraft 3-way toggle and output jack

Epiphone Les Paul Modern Guitar
    * Replaced the broken 3-way toggle switch with a Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch

Schecter Corsair Semi-Hollow (in progress)
    * Replacing the stock 3-way toggle switch and output jack with Switchcraft parts

Yes, I own three Schecter C-1 Platinum Guitars. I think that are the best value for the money.

seedokebass, Pimmsley and JimmyM like this.
  12. JimmyM and 2saddleslab like this.
  13. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks, pal!:thumbsup: Sounds as good as it looks.:D

JimmyM and God's Favorite Bass like this.
  14. Before

2018-02-05 23.20.12 (2).jpg

After

JB Dean 4-3-21.jpeg

15. What was the process you had to go through to apply that laquer? I love the feel and the play of my Bronco neck that I swapped onto my Musicmaster but it's very pale maple. I already painted the headstock but if I thought I could do this laquer that would be cool too. Thanks!

JimmyM likes this.
  16. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    This neck was factory finished in poly. I lightly sanded all of it before applying any lacquer, but I didn't actually remove all that much of the poly. To get the neck as dark as I did especially on the headstock, I used two things. On the headstock, I first used Guitar Reranch Neck Amber Dye. That's pretty dark stuff, but it's just a dye and it requires clear lacquer over it. On top of that and on the rest of the neck, I used ColorTone Aged Clear Guitar Lacquer which has a nice vintage-looking color to it. You need to apply multiple thin coats of the lacquer so that when it's done, it's thick enough to allow for wet sanding without going through it. You can't rush it. You've got to allow a few days to lay down the coats and then allow it cure before sanding. By the way, you can paint right over the frets and then scrape the paint off the frets later. Not hard to do. The most important thing is to keep those coats thin and try to avoid runs. Runs will set you back because then you have to wait for curing, wet sand, and then lay down more layers. That can be frustrating.

JimmyM and WI Short Scaler like this.

17. Thanks, sounds like another project outside my wheelhouse but so was swapping the neck and pickup when I did that.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    These were not skills I had before I started putting basses together about 7 years ago.
    What I’ve got going for me is being retired with plenty of free time.

JimmyM and WI Short Scaler like this.
  19. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Had Mo swap pickups yesterday in my 60s reissue jazz (my JPJ bass). These are the warm and wooly version of the jazz blades.
    Was after more oomph, and got it.

4AD13362-1396-4E06-BBA7-EDCD3594039F.jpeg

Dec1975, Ronen, Pimmsley and 4 others like this.
  20. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I received the last tuner button and got them all on my bass. Franklin Guitar Works on Reverb did a great job getting my shipping and returns handled quickly.

I really like how they look!

20210605_114128.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021