Showing off your ankles in long pants

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Has anyone else noticed how the young people today are bearing their bear ankles in long pants that are too short for them? In San Francisco, I've seen how pants are intentionally rolled up to expose bear ankles or wildly colorful socks that do not match the pants. Is this a fashion trend or is there something more to this?

Atshen likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's become sadly popular here in Dublin too.
    While I've no problem with bright socks, I do think this trend looks silly.
    As for some sort of hidden meaning, I'm going with it being a declaration of being a damn fool.

Atshen, gebass6, kobass and 2 others like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Hip young people are wearing jeans that are skin tight around the calves and thighs and poorly fitting, not baggy, around the waist and ass. They look uncomfortable and ridiculous. The ankles showing is the least strange part about it.

Atshen, gebass6, PWRL and 1 other person like this.
  4. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Still beats the saggy waistline trend. Especially with some of the underwear worn by these individuals.

bassboysam, kobass and J_Bass like this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    They fear getting old, like J. Alfred Prufrock. At least the rolled ones do.

...& why do you care how other people wear their pants/socks, anyway?

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  6. MAJOR METAL

I don't particularly do. Just curious if this was new fashion trend or if it meant something else.

FilterFunk likes this.
  7. If it has to be explained, you are out of fashion. If it looks ridiculous, you are more than likely old.

At least those are the perimeters I use.

pcake, Old Blastard, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    We used to called this "high waders" just another dumb fashion trend recycled. Look for it again around 2075 or so.

kobass and 5StringBlues like this.

9. " You flooding , man!"

gebass6, FilterFunk and bgartist like this.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    To me, it looks feminine on men.

-Mike

Atshen, gebass6, Lardass5000 and 2 others like this.
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    To me it looks clownish. There’s a dude at work who has taken this look to the extreme - loose and baggy dad jeans rolled and folded a couple of times, up to his mid calf, funky socks and then normal dress shoes. It’s a look, that’s for sure.

gebass6 and kobass like this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

What, like the old one leg rolled up equals drug dealer urban legend?

13. I was touring during the height of metal hair bands of the 80s-90s. Looking back, I’ve learned to be tolerant of today’s trends.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Gaolee, GregC, bassboysam and 6 others like this.
  14. MAJOR METAL

Something like that.

15. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    It's a thing now.

Personally not for me.

As for socks, I'll go with the famous quote from Henry Ford, you can choose any color, as long as it's black.

MAJOR METAL likes this.
  16. Warning, Old guy here. I rather see ankle socks than than the sagging pants and underwear showing look. Just sayin.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Atshen, JGbassman, Munjibunga and 2 others like this.
  17. Hey ma - look at the old guys!!!

GregC, GrooverMcTube, J_Bass and 2 others like this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's a thing among executives around here. High water pants and either no-show or ankle socks.

I haven't gone that far. But I have recently bought several pairs of pants that have absolutley no bunch-up at the bottom. Two or three extra inches of fabric balled up at the bottom isn't a great look either.

I save my longer jeans for when I'm wearing boots.

But, yeah. For about a year or so it was just a more tailored look at the bottom of dress pants. Now it's a little odd to me. But, then again, high-ranking execs have man buns and neck tats these days too. So, I suppose that if they bring a ton of intellect to the table, they can pretty much dress however they like.

Honestly, I like the trend away from only short haired (or bald) guys in dark suits running everything.

In the 70s, young execs had porkchop sideburns and bushy mustaches....and thos ridiculous polyester suits with wide collars....and sometimes those hideous Earth tone plaid pants....with bell bottoms! C05D5813752E22DBE022FE8F6B8F3D89_640-879.jpg bbeec4f027ca43f98071e0b4bab7bd42.jpg

This new high-water trend isn't my thing. But there have been worse trends.

I'm usually about one step behind current fashion. But I'm almost 50. That's right where I'm supposed to be. Let the twenty-somethings have their day. Some of our fashion was stupid too. :D

GregC and richntiff like this.
  19. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I personally don't like the ankle exposing tight pants but I bought a pair to blend in better with the other musicians around me and the concert goers.

J_Bass likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

All that dude on the left needs is a white belt and he'd be totally rocking it Herb Tarlek style.

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021