Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shuker basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by si_mon13, Sep 20, 2003.

1. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    I've been searching the forum and found quiet a lot of treats where these were mentioned, but only 2-3 had actually tried them, and some were ordering their. so now im asking, what people think of this? anyone got their shuker yet? im looking at a 4-5string TN or BO Deluxe/custom.

please don't whine about how sei is better, they're almost twice the price.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I got mine. I love 'em.

But then, you already knew that.;) :bassist:

3. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    yeah, that's true, i told Jon that you sent me there. You're pretty much the only one i've heard about who own one and like it, a shuker that is.

i think my specs are going to be like:

Custom Bolt-on four string.
    swampash body (buck eye burl top & back, if possible)
    maple neck
    rio rosewood fingerboard
    EMG pickups/electronics 3 band eq
    fretted
    side dots, name on headstock, "12" on 12th fret

something like that.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sounds good. He has some other nice woods too, but buckeye burl is pretty cool.

5. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    buckeye burl, sure is cool, he said he was getting short on it, so im possibly not getting it :/

what do you think of your acoustic?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I love my acoustic. It's spruce, with bearclaw figuring, over padauk back and sides, with a phenolic fingerboard over a 7 piece mahogany and wenge neck.

You know, one of the first things everybody seems to ask about ABGs is, how loud are they. I decided at some point that I wasn't gonna get hung up in the volume worry, because basically no ABG can put out the bass volume of a DB anyway. It's just physics. SO it's not gonna compete with a large band or a drummer. But the tone of my ABG is sweet; I used it on the soundtrack of an independent film earlier this year, just recoreded straight into a large-diaphragm condenser mike, and it came out great. That works for me.

As for my solidbodies, I ended up going with amboyna burl for the tops, but I was definitely tempted by some of the other woods Jon had. He sent me pictures of maple burl, poplar burl, flamed myrtlewood (sweet!), lacewood, bimblebox burl (yeah, I never heard of it either), and a few others I can't even remember. Maybe imbuya burl? If he doesn't have enough of the buckeye, ask him to send you some other pics. I'm sure he has, or can get, something you'd like.

7. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Sounds cool, i should probably get an acoustic of him soon too :)

He actually offered me to send me pictures of woods in the first mail, so i guess he can send it now, i'll ask him the next time.