Shure GLXD16 transmitter

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by FLV, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FLV

FLV

Sep 14, 2013
    Yesterday I've received my first wireless system. One of the reasons why I chose the Shure over other system is the fact that it has a rechargeable battery pack in the transmitter.

I've tested it and everything seemed to work fine. After I plugged in the pack to charge it, and then disconnected it, I've discovered that the rubber flap is sticking out (picture included). I've tried to put it back carefully in every possible way, but to no effect. Is there any way to fix it back into place?

Attached Files:

2. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    That flap is not durable. My buddy's pack and my pack both had trouble. My bud's got stuck out like that. I was able to let it back in but is loose. Mine never got stuck outward, but is kinda loose and pops out every now and then.

FLV likes this.
  3. FLV

FLV

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm very surprised about the design of this part. All the rest is rock solid, just like all other Shure stuff.

4. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Yeah, I would not fret about that rubber cover because the the system is flawless. Way better than the line 6 g series i had before.

74hc and Jerry Ziarko like this.
  5. FLV

FLV

Sep 14, 2013
    I was considering a G50/70 as well, but I've heard some reviews which mentioned dropouts, so I've chosen this one instead.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I had a similar experience and figured I'd post about it as well.

I recently got a GLXD16 and right away saw that the rubber flap didn't seem to want to go back into place after opening it to charge the transmitter. I put the flap back in as best I could and put the transmitter into the pouch I put on my strap to test it out the system. I hadn't even gotten it into the pouch for the first time and the flap must have been sticking out enough for it to catch on something going into the pouch and it was ripped off of the transmitter on its way in. And it's not that the rubber pieces that anchor it into the transmitter were pulled out and could be pushed back in. Those two rubber pieces broke, so now there's no way to hold the flap in place and that part of the transmitter will remain uncovered.

If it was covering only the USB port, it wouldn't have bothered me much. But it also covers the Link button, which would be a problem if it got hit accidentally while playing. I'll have it in the pouch so that shouldn't be an issue, but such a little thing has the potential to cause an annoying problem.

That being said, I used it for the first time at rehearsal the other night and it worked perfectly. Sounded great and there were no dropouts. Looking forward to seeing how it works at a gig.

7. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    The same happened to me when I got it, a few years ago. Been rocking it live since then and never caused a problem.

8. johnxrobertson

johnxrobertson

Aug 14, 2011
    Scotland
    Same happened to me. One of the rubber hinges has pulled out too far and you need to genty work it back inwards with a small flat head screwdriver or similar.

9. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Inactive

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I'm a new owner for this system myself of about 2 months and it happened to me also. Other than that it's the best wireless I've ever used.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Just following up from my previous post ....

I finally got my opportunity to use mine on a gig on Saturday night. I might not have performed flawlessly, but the unit did. ;) We played four sets over four hours and I had no dropouts.

It's worked quite well so far, so I really hope the rubber flap/cover getting ripped off doesn't cause me problems at some point down the line.

mikeswals likes this.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve been using this system for a few years now. I have two transmitters, one of which, the rubber flap ripped off of. It’s caused no issues whatsoever in the years I’ve been using it, and I gig a lot.

mikeswals and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  12. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I have two GLXD units. One transmitter has the rubber flap and the other doesn't.
    Personally, I can't hear the difference. ;)

Danny C and Ryan L. like this.
  13. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    There's a reason why, and I'll explain some of the reasons that I've found in a follow-up post on my Line6 G10s threads. In short though, the Line6 that I and my bandmates mostly use are not in the same league as the Shure or the Audio-Technica. Different design philosophies for different price-points.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had to repair a solder joint in one of my GLXD transmitters, which means yes I had the tamper-proof tool to take it apart. :ninja:
    The door tabs are molded together as one hinge, merely a hollow cavity in the transmitter that the door slides in and out from. You can't replace it without taking the body apart.

I also learned about having to "link" additional transmitters to my receiver when I got the 2nd transmitter, so if you're transmitter lives in a pouch you shouldn't have a problem with accidental pushing of the button, because you first have to push the link button on the receiver first and then the transmitter before the transmitter will acknowlege anything is happening.

But I too have been using this system for 4 years now, graduated form a G50 and it blows the Line 6 stuff away!
    My G50 constantly dropped out so bad that Line 6 told me to set the receiver on top of my amp and not the floor...so much for a "pedal system". :facepalm:

But in case any of you with a unit a few years old didn't know. There has been a couple of firmware updates this year, and I uploaded the updates in mine and I didn't think it could get any better...it consumes less battery life now! I swear it also sounds even better too but can't quantify that. :D

Jim C likes this.
  15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve kept the firmware up to date on mine, and it seems to me that the battery life is even better now as well, plus it seems to work even better in “busy” environments.

mikeswals likes this.
  16. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Thanks for the reminders about updating the firmware. I just got mine, but I may as well make sure it's up to date.

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Make sure you do both the transmitter and receiver. If you do one and not the other, they won’t work together.

18. Hey guys, question here.... I have the same shure unit. I think it works pretty good but occasionally I’ll get these high frequency snaps, ticks or clicks for lack of a better term. It’s interference of some type. I can generally make it go away by choosing another group. My question is...I often just leave the base unit on top of my amp or in front of it on the cabinet. Is it possible that the transformers or whatever inside the amp (gk 800rb) can cause some type of electrical interference that can cause issues? I guess I haven’t really noticed if it goes away when I do put it on the floor. I’m not sure if the interference is from wifi stuff in and around the bar or what.
    Oh, and by the way, I had the same issues with the little rubber cover.
    And thanks for the tip on the firmware. I’ll have to look into it as I have no idea how to update it. Thanks!

19. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'm not currently using a pedal board so I've been putting my GLXD6 receiver on top of my amp also. I just bought my wireless kit recently so I've only used it for two rehearsals and one gig but I haven't experienced any kind of interference yet.

FWIW, the amp I've used was my Mesa D800+, which is a different amp design from your GK and it has a much smaller transformer. So maybe my experience isn't apples-to-apples enough?

68Goldfish likes this.
  20. Thanks Dave. I managed to get both pieces updated which is cool since I didn't even know that was a possibility. I'll start putting it on the floor and see if it alleviates the problem.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022