1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttle 6.0 Volume issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philter25, Jan 18, 2012.

1. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Just wondering if this is common.... when I change the master volume, gain, or channel volume on my Shuttle, it makes a crackling noise.

Say I am playing live and need to turn up, I cant just hit an open string and turn the volume or gain knobs as it crackles before arriving at the new volume setpoint.

Once its at the correct volume and settings, it sounds fantastic. Is this common?

2. I have that too, but I believe it should not be like that. Since I only use mine at home for pratice, I don't care much for it as long as the amp sounds good...

3. On mine (from 2008) the amp always make crackling noise when adding the master volume. Changing channel volume produce a much less noticeable crackle and only occur sometimes. No problem with the gain.

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Dirty pots ?

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have some slight static as I turn my volume knob as well. May be the type of pot used that allows dust or other foreign matter to get i there. I just set my volume and control it from the bass.

6. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Its happened since day 1 but its never really bothered me because I usually adjust the volume on my bass.

We just played a really loud show where my bass volume (on the bass guitar preamp itself) was at 10 and I needed to up the master and it made a loud crackle when the volume changed so it sparked me to post about it to see if anyone else had the issue.

7. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, that just smells like either bad or dirty volume pots. If it's just cleaning needed, the repair that should be relatively cheap at your local music store.

EDIT: You can also try turning that one pot back and forth a whole lot to try to clean it mechanically, but you run a slight risk of making it worse, if it's loose gunk in there

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I believe this is normal on the Shuttle amps... a slight scratching type sound if you turn the master while actually playing.

9. When my Shuttle 6.0 made any noise (that it ain't supposed to) -a crackling, albeit, not from turning the volume but from any vibration- it was a simple fix of cleaning the fx loop sockets. A quick spray of de-oxit & cycle the fx loop with a jack plug & all was fixed.
    I'd bet, if your prob ain't exactly this, it'd be similarly easy to fix.
    Normal???? Mine's abnormal then :)

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1. It was explained to me this way by a reliable source...

"Some of what you are hearing is the wiper fingers causing microscopic changes of resistance and on a wide bandwidth amp with potentially high gain, this might be audible with signal. If it's quiet without signal this is not a symptom of a dirty pot or DC offset on the wiper."

11. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    +1 Rod. I only suggest taking it to the store to have it done if you aren't a bit familiar and comfortable with popping the lid on your amp, because there's sometimes a couple places you don't want to touch at the same time. But even at the store, they're just going to spray some cleaner in the pot and then wiggle it back and forth.

12. Capela

Capela

Oct 12, 2009
    Hello,

Yes it does make that noise on mine (ex) as well.

Sounds like it's normal in all Shuttle heads.

Regards

Capela

13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have new Shuttle 6.0 and it exhibits the same behavior. The pots have detents, they are not smooth like most. It's the "in-between" spots that cause the crackle. No problem, just mute the strings before twiddling the knobs. It's normal for this amp.

14. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have absolutely not noticed it on my Shuttle 6.0. Just a data point.

KO

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yours is broken!

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yet. They all start out clean and quiet but slowly develop the noise.

17. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    Exactly correct. Much better description of the problem than mine.

Phew! I feel good knowing its normal and most peoples is doing the same thing.

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Play it and have fun!

19. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I have the "crackle when turning the volume knob" issue too. As well, I have a "periodically the volume drops to almost nothing for no particular reason, like a big huge pad switch" problem.

My understanding is that both problems are probably due to dirt or oxidation buildup, and quickly fixed by de-oxit, which I am picking up today. I am going to shoot a couple shots into the offending pot as well as the effects loop jacks since the volume drop problem is fixed when I hit the bypass switch on my Opto-stomp compressor, which is run in and out of the amp using the effects loop.

I do not believe that either of my problems are "normal" for this or any amp. For good measure, I am going to past this post into an email to Jeff Genzler and I will let you know his response.

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    +1
    I remember that used to happen on my Eden WT amps as well.