Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SIB Fatdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im looking at this pedal to warm up my sound. Do you think it will do the fat tube sound better than a EBS Valvedrive? The valvedrive is $50 lower. Any info on these two pedals are most welcomed.

2. If price is the prime issue, why not look at the Behringer equivalent of the SABDDI?:meh:

You'll not get the job done cheaper than that I don't think.:smug:

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Both the Behringer and the orinal SABDDI from Tech21 sucks IMO.:bag: And I have owned both for quite some time.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    tag. I'm curious as to what people's impressions of this pedal.

5. If you think the SABDDI "sucks", I'm afraid you may well be beyond help, certainly from me.:D :D :D :D

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I know my opinion is quite controversial in this place. But the Sansamp scoops out the mids and change the basic sound too much. I just want some warmth to my sound. Not a complete change like the Sansamp gave me.

I might just go for the EBS at the moment as I can´t try or buy the SIB locally. And I have a gig next week that would be great to try the EBS on. Someone has to be the guineapig here. :D

7. I find it almost beyoned belief that there ae folk out there who persist with the SABDDI "scoops the mids" rumour.:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I know it's all subjective, but I honestly and sincerley believe that ANYONE, given enough time and a VERY light touch on the controls would readily appreciate that the mids are only scooped if you set it up that way!! With judicious use of the Blend control, I find that the "character" of my bass shines through and it doesn't change the basic sound at all IF you set it up correctly. If, however, you do what the manual recommends, your bass is, I agree, almost unrecognisable.:meh: :meh:

Go on - give it another try. You know it makes sense.:D :D

8. Jock,
    John Mayer's bass player...I think his name is Dave Labruyere(Bela-nickname)? Great player anyway.
    Swears by the SIB FAtdrive.He said he brings it to all his session work and goes into the board with it. Live he goes from the SIB to an Ampeg V4B. Check out his tone on Mayer's albums it sound great! Hope this helps.
    Brent:bassist:

9. Ditto on the SIB Fatdrive! I don't know how the EBS sounds, and I don't like the sansamp's coloration.

I swapped out the 12AX7 in my Fatdrive for a 5751 and it sounds even warmer. I've recently been using it as my preamp, into a Stewart World 1.2 and an Omni 12 cab. Sounds great!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Fatdrive is kind of a Fender-style front-end preamp, similar to things like the Alembic F-2B. The 3-band EQ has a limited range, not a lot of sound shaping capabilities. But, the tube tone is great.

~ Charlie

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I agree that the blend is the key to that pedal, but everytime I use it I like it best with the blend set to bass signal only. So there is no reason to have it in my signal chain. This is with every setting I could come up with. And I really wanted to like this pedal.

11. Understood.:meh: :meh:

12. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The EBS is also based on the passive Fender tone stack like the Alembic.
    Thanks for the info on the SIB BTW!

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, great pedal. And passive eq, so completely counterintuitive if you're used to active eq :)

Jock,
    did you do a search? Plenty of threads talking about this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2005766

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    +1

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I owned a SIB Fatdrive for about a year a while back. It's a great pedal in some ways, but I got frustrated with it because it seemed to have only two "modes": too subtle to notice, or too "buzzy driven 12ax7" for my tastes. In other words, at low drive settings it sounded nice and clean, but I couldn't hear the difference enough between the engaged and bypassed sounds for it to be worth the large amount of real estate it took up on my pedalboard. At higher gain settings, the distortion wasn't the kind of distortion I like (it was a high gritty buzz typical of the single 12ax7). OTOH, the pedal was very solidly-built, looked cool, and probably suits other players well enough.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a strong feeling that changing the tube in it makes a great deal of difference.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd love to hear one of these straight into a Bergantino IP cabinet.

18. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    For those of you with more experiance, a question.

Does the Fat Drive give the same kind of warmth as an Alembic Pre? I used to own the F1X and I regret selling it. :crying:

I'm really intrested in both pedals, but has anyone tried the EBS Valvedrive. Opinions?

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, that's what it excels at. Giving tube warmth and slight overdrive.

Complaints about it not doing good distortion are really not valid, since it's not designed for that. If you want that, try the SIB Varidrive

20. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.

Cool! thanks!

But I'm still curiuos about the EBS unit. Since it seems to offer both. It may be worth the extra expence. No?