1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sick of the normal pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Veldar, Aug 9, 2012.

1. it seems that all pedals makers just do chorus, OD etc and rehash the same effects.

Are there any pedals/pedal brands that are experementing with new ideas or can you name some weird pedals that haven't been coppyed millions of times?

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Pigtronix. Moog. Boss, yes Boss. Take a look in their back catalog and there's some unique gear.

While I'm not a fan ZVex for sure fits.

And you NEED an Xblender.

Go on Ebay and take a look at what people ar doing in their basement.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Get a sample rate reducer. It interestingifies other effects often in unexpected ways. Iron Ether do one, I think the Hexe Bitcrusher also does sample rate reduction, there's also the Bugbrand Bugcrusher if you can find one.

If that's too tame get a ring modulator, which will make similar sounds but way more gongy and pingy and less pleasant! Great for ruining. Nothing ruins like a ring mod. Broken robots making love. To play your sweetest major key '50s heartthrob melody through a ring mod is to hear it fundamentally ruined. Lots of brands make a ring mod. Take your pick.

Finally if you want something a bit more harmonically tolerable but still psycho-sounding google 'oscillating fuzz' and take you pick.

4. mindwave_21

mindwave_21

Oct 18, 2007
    Electro Harmonix has some really interesting pedals. They might not all float your boat, but there could be something there to inspire you.

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Source Audio!

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    wmd

7. Catalinbread heliotrope

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Someone needs to frequent ilovefuzz.com more.

That's where the weirdos get to be weird so that we can keep TB normal.

9. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Lovetone. Their pedals are strange. Like, Snuff Box strange.

10. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    By and large, analog effects circuits have matured as a technology. There are certainly some innovations, but they tend to be incremental in nature.

DSP effects (EH, IE, L6, SA, etc.) open the door to doing things which were not practical until you could throw 500,000 transistors at that task. More new effect types are coming from the digital domain these days than the analog domain, because it is less explored space.

I am not sure how WMD does there stuff. It might well be DSP.

11. the Dwarfcraft Robot devil, and if you wanna get really out, they are doing a pitchgrinder. Earthqaker Devices Oraganizer is a cool take on an octave. And the rainbow machine is a chorus/delay type thing. There are plenty of small companys doing cool stuff. Its were you look. Its like sayin there is no good music on the radio, but then not going out to support bands in basements and warehouses were good creative music is being played. Good luck on your search

12. Stop shopping at Guitar Center

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

+1

They are a bit in left field sometimes (bleachers, even), but if you're looking for a non-expensive way to sound different, I'd go down that road. Who knows where that will lead.

14. IE Frantabit is waay out there! so much fun though!

15. this.

Copilotfx, Dwarfcraft and Smallsound/Bigsound all make some pretty wacky stuff, and it's all awesome. And yes, EHX definitely has their hits and misses, but their hits are crazy/stupid/awesome.

16. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    +10 For the first year of using pedals, I made a decent sized board out of mostly stuff at GC...very few pedals survived. I am lucky enough to live 5 minutes down the road from a Platinum GC so it isnt terrible. I go into other GCs sometimes and I'm like...smh...

As far as weird effects/non-conventional effects, like others have said, pigtronix,ehx,IE,subdecay,red witch,moog ect.

I have a noise box, pog2, xerograph, and timeline for my share of strange effects

17. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Funny... I love exploring the unexpected spaces created by combining different effects, rather than rely on someone else to invent some box or another to give me something out of the ordinary. Using those invented boxes just gives one the same sound that anyone else can buy... which, to my mind, is much like seeing the goth kids declaring their uniqueness and individuality while conforming in their own groups.

Anyway, that's just my view, and the path I take. I congratulate anyone who actually makes a careful choice, regardless of what it is.

18. Red Panda Particle does some really cool stuff.

19. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    everybody's entitled to their own opinions, but...... nope. huge nopes. giant Panda Panty sized nopes.

somebody could spend a butt load of time with the same effect and they're going to come up with something different than i will. and play a different style into it. i love combo'ing up pedz too, but i think saying you're going to get the same sound out is like saying if you hand a bass that's setup to only have a clean tone 2 people will sound identical wobbling it.

that said - OP - what are you looking for? something to make noise? something to give you odd tones to make you stand out or sit in the lead spot a little more? arpegiated stuff that lets you get nasty synthy? more of a toy weirdness that would be harder to fit into a song?

murrrrrrrr?

20. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    +1 on EHX. I know they've had a few big failures and let downs (BBM, Blogger, Metaphors (see a trend in bass pedals anyone?) buuuuut out of all the big pedal companies, I can't think of anyone else being so proactively forward looking.

A lot of boutique builders will just refine the ideas which larger companies come up with, but these ideas have to come from somewhere in the first place.

All said and done, Dwarfcraft Devices, SS/BS, Devi Ever etc. are all making really interesting pedals off their own backs right now - worth a look!