1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sightreading exercises for five string

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Feb 29, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I have a bunch of instructional and music books for the four string but I was looking for something to help me with sightreading on the five (with a low B).

Any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be much out there.

I have Simandl, Chuck Rainey, Carol Kaye and Trumpf instructional stuff as well as Mozart Symphony and Piano Sonata scores btw.

Thanks

2. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Why not transpose stuff you already have down a fourth? Or, you could use across the strings fingerings to use the fifth string in upper positions.

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Both excellent questions.

For the first, if you mean transpose by hand then my answer is I don't have time for it at the moment and would rather pay someone to create an instructional book. If you mean transpose in my head that's an interesting suggestion. I can read bass and treble cleff and have a hard enough time keeping those two straight. I feel transposing in my head while sightreading will just confuse me more.

Using the upper position on the fifth string is something I'm doing now, and is very helpful. It is also a different sound which is nice to have in my bad of tricks.

Thanks

4. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
  5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    IMO, if you're worried about the 5 extra notes you're getting with your B string then learning to sight read that isn't a big deal. It's just 5 more notes. More importantly, shift your hand up a perfect fourth and do all of your old sight reading exercises in a new position. Having a 5 string bass doesn't just mean that you have 5 new low notes to play, it means you now have more flexibility.

LeeNunn likes this.
  6. 1 of 3 responses is useful, lol.

7. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Steve Bailey's book on 5-String Bass focuses on this issue.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Get a beginning or Intermediate Bassoon book. Lots of easy things there. Bassoon does go down to Bb, but you can deal with that. Cello books are good too, and Cello goes down to C, so you have a little room there. With both Cello and Bassoon, if you get Advanced books, you'll run into Tenor Clef, and while that might be fun, you just don't see it much with EB. (even DB doesn't get it much.. a little in orchestral music). But then you can just skip over the Tenor Clef stuff.
    Google Bassoon, Trombone, Cello Etude books and see what there is. I've gotten tons of pdf's free. Takes a little bit of looking.