1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Signal Chain for bass amp to compressor.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beaulieuf89, Sep 8, 2017.

1. beaulieuf89

beaulieuf89

Feb 17, 2013
    Montreal
    Hi people!
    I'm fairly new here. And I've been trying to figure out what would be the best way to set-up my signal chain. And I'm not a super pro at audio stuff and being french I sometimes struggle with some of the technical material.

I have an Eden WT-500 amp, Korg Rack Tuner, and a DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate.

Now. This is where I get confused regarding connections.

Would I plug my bass directly into the amp, then use the FX return to connect my compressor and then go out to my cab?

Or perhaps, go directly in through my tuner, then into the compressor, then into the front of my amp?

Or am I not getting something?

If you need any pictures or more info. Let me know!
    Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    From what I read, your amp has a built-in compressor.

3. I don't have your amp or compressor, but I've messed around and find I like the sound better running from my wireless to the tuner, then compressor, preamp, and finally to power amp.

It's a personal taste, and what works for my ears might not be to your liking. I've run the compressor in the preamps effects loop, but I like my sound better the way I first described.

There is no right or wrong way, so try it in a few places in your signal chain. You are bound to find where it works to you liking

beaulieuf89 likes this.
  4. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agree that you should try hooking up different ways and see what sounds best to you with your bass / style.

That said I would first try putting your Compressor in the FX loop of that amp.
    Some rack compressors may not play nice with a passive bass / low output pickups. If you have an active bass / hot pickups you can try Compressor first and then into bass amp or the FX loop.
    If your amp has a tuner output I'd connect tuner there if possible.

beaulieuf89 likes this.
  5. beaulieuf89

beaulieuf89

Feb 17, 2013
    Montreal
    It does indeed! However it's really not that good and there is no option whatsoever to adjust it. It's just on or off. Which I don't like.

Stumbo likes this.
  6. beaulieuf89

beaulieuf89

Feb 17, 2013
    Montreal

Awesome, I will deffinitively try that. I play both passive and active basses depending on where I'm at.
    It was just worried that the FX loop would not play nice with a compressor.
    So plugging in directly to the compressor (as if it where a pedal) should work.
    Otherwise FX loop.

(And yes, tuner is on the Tuner out at this time)

Thx.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021