1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signal Splitter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Hi everyone, this isn't really an effect, but I thought it would fit best here, if not I hope a mod will please move it for me.

Anyways, I am looking for something to split my signal into two paths. I want to do this so I can send one path to one amp that is recording to my minidisc and send the other signal to another amp so I have some sort of monitor for my sound being recorded. Any input on this is appreciated.

2. There's a lot of things that do this, I think the boss line selector can do it, but so can a lot of the stereo pedals like the harmonist and the delays etc.

If you're not totally hung up on signal integrity, a DI box such as the BDDI would do it too. Take one output from the regular output, and the other from the "loop through" or parallel output. You could also take a third from the balanced XLR out and then you'd have a straight signal as well as an amplified signal for recording purposes.

Be aware that a parallel hard-wired output is just like a Y cable. If you feed that output to a device with a low input impedance then you will degrade the signal from the source (ie; your pickups!)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Any active mixer should do the trick, or a buffered AB box, DI or something of the sort.

4. I suppose I should add the stipulation that it has to cost less than a Shure SM57 since if it costs more I'll just buy one of those and start micing my amp to record.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, how's half the price of an SM57?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MLYABY

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ANy AB/Y pedal will do this.

They can be purchased for about $30-$50.

I currently have a Morely AB/Y that I got for $40.