1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

silks

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bass dan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. i posted this on the strings forum, but have gotten no responses. so this is either a stupid question, or no one else is stupid enough to do what i have done.
    i put a old set of spirocore weichs on my bass that had the silks completley gone from the peg box side. basically i put bare wire around my tuning pegs. they sound fine, i was just curious if i was doing any harm other than scratching up my tuning pegs.

2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Maybe everyone else is just busy. I really can't think of any other harm you may do that way...but maybe one of the experts aboard, here will think of something.

It does seem to me that there may be some loss in sound, using strings that are that old. Strings do age, you know....

Chet

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The bare strings shouldn't cause any problems Dan. The silks are mostly for identification purposes.

4. thanks for the replies. i was hopeing you would say that.