1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly Question: Active bass with Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dafin0, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dafin0

dafin0

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi all, my first post here and it could be a silly question

anyway, i have been given a Active bass guitar (Yamaha TRB 1004) and someone else has given me a amp (Kustom KBA 65)

now im very new to all this but from my understanding a Active bass has a pre-amp built in to it. now also the amp iv got has a pre-amp built in.

is there any problem with this setup?

thanks for your time

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    No problems... very standard... it's how it is. Active basses have battery powered preamps. And all bass amps have preamps as well. Plug and play... :bassist:

3. dafin0

dafin0

Jan 26, 2012
    Alright cool thanks very much

4. not sure 'bout that particular amp,but keep in mind 'high' and 'low' inputs differ.one is for passive,and the other,naturally,for active basses.there is a strong chance you'll fry your amp if you put active bass into a high input...
    that said,most of the manufacturers are making bass amps with one input that can handle both passive and active(markbass being one),so check your manual!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoever told you that, you should pop them in the head with a rubber chicken. That's a total myth, 100% not true. I have never ever plugged an active bass into an active input. Always sounds like crap to me to use the active input. Number of amps I've fried: 0. Number of amps anyone else has fried by doing it: 0.

6. tranny amps or valve/tube amps. Just asking, as i know about a guy whos friends gilfriends brother works at a music shop and somone he knows fried a tranny amp using the wrong imput. think thats right.:D

7. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yeah, I'm with JimmyM on this one...

8. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Yeah, that's firsthand info for sure, documented, cross-referenced & verified, I'd say:rollno:

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I think he was jokesing us. ;)

10. Yeah it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but I think most of us have heard similar stories, but my question still stands, knowing jimmy’s taste in amplification. More to the point, does it make a difference, and if it doesn’t, then why bother with a separate input for passive and active basses.

Wanted to post this originally but couldn’t find the quote.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris fry his rig at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Usually the active input is just a padded input. Something in the range of -10 to -20 db depending on the amp. If you want a super clean signal and no overdrive, you may need to use it as some basses are on the hot side and can overdrive the input a little.

I never use it myself, and play actives almost exclusively.

12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    That's good... I'm using that one. :D:p:D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Your skeleton suit will blow transformers ;)

14. Never plug in to a tranny....

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Separate active/passive inputs are foe those who are under the false impression that active instruments are always hotter than passive ones. Almost all "active" inputs are a simple pad on the input (although Trace Elliot did once have different input impedances).

Use the normal setting unless you encounter preamp distortion you can't control with the first faun setting.

You will NOT hurt anything.

John

16. lol
    I ll tell him so,in fact I'll bring him the chicken myself:D
    I've never had that issue as well,but people DO talk about it.
    fact remains=there's ALWAYS somebody who knows somebody who run into somebody who fried his amp.
    that said-
    I always plug my active into a 0db input(ampeg b100r),it does clip sometimes(red light goes on ofc),but I've never fried it.
    but get this-some kid from the opening band plugged his active bass into that same output,cranked the gain-and fried it.
    now,I'm not saying it would not have happened-had he used the -10db input(he did cranked the gain AND volume respectably)
    but-he did fry it.
    so-it does not happen often,but it can happen-ESPECIALLY with combo's
    now I'll go get that chicken rdy

17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    He fried it because he ran it into clipping, period.

One other thing to note is that some passive basses are louder than some active basses...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Moles is right. He blew the cab by overloading the cab. That has nothing to do with active vs. passive. Active basses are often hotter than passive basses but not always, and amps do have a volume knob.

19. Ohhh is that what’s happening. All this time I thought it was the super hot P\U’s on my bass, Sheesh, you know how many rigs that outfit has cost me. So you are saying I can plug into any input I like as long as I change the suit. Cool thanks, Jimmy I’ll try it out on fri.:D

20. shamrock

shamrock

Feb 6, 2011
    Greetings! I've been using the hotter input on my Alembic F1X with all of my active basses for over 20 yrs and I Haven't had a problem as long as I don't boost the onboard EQ too much.