Simmons Piezo Drum Trigger as bass pickup ….

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kerrycares, May 28, 2016.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I bought one of these today and put it on my bass and A/B to my David Gage Realist going through my Acoustic Image Coda.
    It sounds like an in-between of my Realist and Troll mic.
    $15.99 investment.

Am I missing something???????????

2. If it works well, why not. But you didn't tell us where you put the trigger pickup and how you fixed it.

I once used bare piezo disks as a trigger pickup for a MIDI-drum-trigger. It worked, but sometimes the ceramic on the disk broke, when it got really loud. I put it at the edge of the membrane and fixed it with double-sided sticky tape.
    The breakage did not happen when I used a piezo disk in a plastic housing, but the voltage level was smaller.

The official drum triggers are probably piezo disks in a housing. It depends how the sound gets damped in certain frequency regions if it will be more or less useable as a bass pickup. At least you avoid the problem of soldering to the piezo disk and fixing the cable, so the solder points won't get loose.
    But since the triggers are only designed to transfer a peak voltage, they might not be designed for low noise with a good shielding.

Other people use external pickups for tuners for the bass. Basically a piezo disk with a clamp.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022