Simple Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MeTHoD-X, Feb 13, 2005.

1. What is a Chord?
    What is a Scale?
    What is Key?

Whats the difference between a scale and a chord?

Thanks in advance.
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    A chord is three or more different notes played together.
    A scale is a set of notes played in ascending/descending order.
    A key is a system that defines what notes you can play.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...and you can think of the Chord as a vertical stacking of notes.

Scale as a horizontal/linear succession of notes.
  4. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i got some questions too....i'm a beginner and i'm hearing pple all talking about this....what is the pot on a bass??? they say the change the pots....and what is inotation.......and what is sheilding a guitar
  5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    These are questions for the setup forum, really. Best ask them there, you'll get a better response.
  6. Google>Type in:"music theory encyclopedia">look at list for a good resource.

7. Will my wrist eventually become stronger, and thus stop hurting as much as it does now? I put a lot of pressure on my left thumb while playing. Is it just a matter of time, or is it a flaw in my technique. I hold my thumb stretched out like your supposed to do, so I don’t know what it could be.
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Sounds like a serious technique problem. Your wrist should not hurt.

The most common reason for your wrist hurting (I'm assuming this is your fretting hand, the one holding the neck) is that you're wearing the bass at the wrong level. Sit down and balance it on your leg (right leg if you're right handed). That's the level it should be when you're standing up.

Both of your wrists should be as straight as possible... the headstock of the bass should be roughly at shoulder level.

Use less pressure. Try removing your left thumb completely from the neck as an exercise, you should still be able to fret the notes.

Feb 11, 2005
    get complete book of electric bass essentuals by bunny brunnel and pratice 2-3 hours a day!
    enjoy!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

hyperlink not working type into your browser yourself!!
  10. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hello fellow Waterloo bassist. :)

To answer your questions read Jazzbo's article . Anything beyond that ask away, and we'll help as best we can!