1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple PedalTrain Mini Integrated Power Concept

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amfmsb, May 5, 2010.

1. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    ScreenShot388.

:hyper:

Thats the rough idea. Basically just hard wiring a 1 Spot to an IEC outlet that will be mounted on the back of a PedalTrain Mini. The wiring and 1Spot should be small enough to conceal underneath the board without having to add taller feet, which is necessary when mounting a TRex Fuel Tank JR power supply under a Mini. Also, the only cutting I have to do is the hole for the IEC outlet. Any comments on how to improve my plan and/or installation tips are welcome.

This is the Mini board I plan on adding to my PTPro board from this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654048

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are you going to be soldering/wiring the prongs of the 1spot to the internal connectors of the IEC outlet? And wouldn't you want a male-pin IEC for that purpose?

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I think he means to plug the 1 spot into the IEC and have that wired to an extension cord of some sort.

EDIT: Although the cords on 1 spots are so long,...I don't see why he does just plug it into an outlet and be done with it.

4. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    You are correct- I showed it incorrectly. It should be a male connector. The whole purpose is to have everything securely connected on the board, with the only moving piece being the removable IEC power cord, just like my bigger board with a Pedal Power mounted underneath (without isolated power to each pedal of course). I

5. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    ScreenShot392.

This is what I meant.

6. 3wavylines

3wavylines Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Boston
  7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why not just plug the 1-spot into a power strip and save yourself the work?

My entire home-made board is powered by a 1-spot with a daisy extension. 10 pedals powered by 1 socket.

8. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    The purpose is to have the IEC outlet mounted, (cut a hole in the board and perminately attach it) to the board. That adapter would be easier though. It can be plan B if I get too scared of cutting my board up.

9. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I like your plan; putting the male IEC receptacle on the back panel is a great idea! How will you attach the 1-Spot to the IEC receptacle? It's got solder lugs on the back. Just make sure that whatever solution you choose, that it's as reliable and "Mil-Spec" (tough) as possible. If it were me, I'd solder a female 3-prong cord/outlet (the female part in the pic right above this post) to the receptacle and plug the 1-Spot into that. The logic being that if/when you need to unplug your adapter (it dies, you get something new, whatever) it's possible to do so w/o having to unsolder something. It also will aid in quick changes if your adapter dies. Just some thoughts. Good luck and post plenty of pics of your work!

10. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Is my love for gear with built-in male IEC outlets out of place?

11. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Nope, not out of place at all. You want pro-quality gear. Tough stuff with lots of convenience features. Me too. Problem is that quality isn't cheap! :D I think what I proposed is the ideal solution in this case. MHO, of course! :ninja: I'm a networking/switch/server room guy by trade. I deal with rackmounted equipment all day, every day. I've seen how important it is to have your power distribution securely mounted and easily accessible, etc.

AwesomeX likes this.