Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sing, Sing, Sing - drummer solos on bass

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by DB66, Dec 30, 2005.

1. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Played the song "Sing, Sing, Sing" tonight, during the drummer's solo I put my bass close to his kit and he beats the strings with his sticks while I finger (or try to finger the bass line). It's a great crowd pleaser and sounds really cool. The band got the idea from another bass player, but I'm wondering where from? There's probably a recording or story about some big band that did this. Anyone know?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've heard that Reverend Horton Heat does this a lot.

3. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks for the info. I found another link to the drummer Ray Bauduc (below) and searching the itunes music store for "noise from winn" I found the version of Ray and Bob doing their drum n bass duo. I'm going to suggest doing this song with the band.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ray_Bauduc.html

I found another link with a picture of Bob Haggart with his bass with a nice carved scroll head. He also had a 70 year music career!

http://www.riverwalk.org/profiles/haggart.htm

4. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Kyle Eastwood does an updated version of "Big Noise from Winnetka" on his new CD Paris Blue that features his upright bass playing along with some hip-hop style drums, modern sounding horns and whistling from his famous father Clint. No drumsticks on the bass strings, but it's still pretty good.

- Steve

My web page

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a recent re-recording of Haggart's "Porgy and Bess" arrangements laying around somewhere. It's a real gem!