1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Singer/BL just quit and canceled our gigs. Argh.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by friskinator, Feb 20, 2016.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Just found myself in a situation that I did not expect. The singer/BL in my cover band has decided to quit and take another gig, and he canceled all our existing gigs - without consulting us first.

A little backstory...I've been in this band for going on 6 years. We're all great friends, hang out in between gigs, no drama at all. We stay consistently booked with club and corporate work, and I've never really had any complaints. The BL recently got an offer (unbeknownst to us) to go on the road as a hired gun with a local country singer/songwriter that's trying to "make it." BL apparently thinks this could be his ticket to fame and fortune (he's also an aspiring singer/writer), so he took the gig playing in his backup band. He also canceled all of our cover gigs without telling us, and I think that's the part that really irritates me. Me and the remaining guys could have at least tried to find a fill-in singer for the gigs we have coming up, but he didn't even give us the option. We have gigs on the books for as soon as next weekend, but those aren't happening now.

I'm not happy. I'm out a good chunk of money, and I rely on music to supply the bulk of my income. Worst of all, I had to find out about this from the guitar player. BL hasn't even called me personally to explain what happened, and in my opinion, that's not acceptable.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen?

PortlandBass77 and spaz21387 like this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Excuse me for asking, but....

In retrospect, is this really new behavior for the BL/Singer or just an extension of his character?

Riis

3. That is really weak. He should not have unilaterally canceled the gigs like that.

Why would he do that? He is no longer part of the band. He can no longer make band decisions.

Maybe you can explain this to the venues and get some of your gigs back.

LowFish, seang15, Clark Dark and 13 others like this.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That's what I was wondering - if some of these gigs are this weekend, surely the venues won't be happy about the cancellation. I would think you could call them up and say no, the rest of the band can still play it, and they'll be happy.

LowFish, Clark Dark, jamro217 and 6 others like this.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    rough him up a bit,... at least verbally!

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    He's a narcissist. He will probably get what he wants and become famous. Beat him up. It's all you can do.

ColdEye, SV777, ariwax and 14 others like this.
  7. Yeah. I guess the problem is coming up with a capable singer who knows the songs, and doing it in pretty short order.

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that was my first thought, too. if you can find a singer who knows the songs, at least some of the venues and events people are going to be relieved to have you available.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Find a new singer and keep it moving!

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good one! How quickly can you coordinate your available talent (...up to and including Paul Rodgers) to be giggable?

Good chance this cat's gonna fall flat on his face and end up back in your territory. Venues have great memories and he's burned some bridges. He'll probably try to re-recruit band members. Keep him at arm's length. Be forewarned: some of your more spineless associates will succumb...I've seen it happen.

Riis

11. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    In terms of his character, this is not really like him. He's usually reliable, but like most singers, he's extremely ADD and tends to do things without thinking. I don't think canceling the gigs was a malicious act on his part - I think he just took the new gig and thought "well, I can't do the cover gigs now, so I better cancel them." He's sometimes not the best at thinking things through, but that's mainly in his personal life.

I spoke to the drummer about possibly finding a new singer to salvage the gigs, but since our shows are booked under our singer's name, he wasn't really into the idea. The gigs booked are just run of the mill bar/restaurant shows, and I'm convinced no one would know the difference, but whatever.

MTFD24 and brbadg like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If they're booked under you singer's name, just try to get them rebooked as something else. What's the big deal? Tell your drummer to snap out of it.

But...I can see how this happened. You were booked under the singer's name. So in his mind, it's all him, and you're just his backing band. So what's the problem? These were his gigs. And it's his reputation. He's the real pro with the actual ambitions. You're just the homeboys hanging on his coattails and tagging along for the ride.

Nice.

Y'know, there's two types of rudeness.

One is basic type-1 arrogance where you treat others like garbage because you think you're better than them.

Then there's the honest to god type-2 or royal arrogance where you know you're better than others and treat people like garbage - because it never even once occurs to you to do otherwise.

The fact your singer bailed on you with zero warning - or notice ("well...I told the guitar player and figured he'd tell everybody...") tells me he's Type-2 arrogant.

You're not getting shafted by him. That would take thinking on his part. You don't rate the effort of him thinking because as far as his brain is concerned you people don't even exist.

I wouldn't be afraid to feel highly offended over what happened.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    That's a shame. Would the drummer at least be willing to fire things back up with a new singer?

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  14. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I'd say, "Great!" You're rid of him. Now you can move on to better things.

Mystic Michael and Nev375 like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Speaking as a passivist I'd say break his legs.

16. Charlie Blue

Charlie Blue

Apr 12, 2014
    none
    This is a great opportunity for the NEW band. Fond a singer, get a new name and play better than ever.

Look at it in a positive way. You guys really didn't need for some reason and he got the boot.

Regroup, take a breath, then kick butt. I am telling you, this is a positive turning point for your band, its not his anymore!

17. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Lame!!! Lame!!!! Lame!!!!

But if they were booked under the singers name, it kinda sounds like his right to cancel them.

Either way, he should have consulted with everyone.

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    If he did that, first he was no friend to you and the other band-mates. He needs to know he was wrong. A beat-down first comes to mind.
    But people like him, don't see the error of there way. Tell him to take a hike. Move on. Find another band.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  19. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Do what we did. We split the singing duty among the four of us. We don't have the voices, but we do OK and we are solid musically. Worked for us.

MTFD24 likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Speaking as a busy passivist, I'd say hire somebody to break his legs. :laugh:

(kidding)