Single 12 - Elevate/Angle/Floor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Art Araya, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I've downsized my rig. I'm going to try to get away with a single 12 Berg cabinet for most situations.

Those of you who currently gig with a single 12 - do you elevate the 12 on a stool? Do you leave it on the floor or close to the floor but just angle it upwards? Or do you leave it flat on the floor?

2. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    no thoughts or experience to share on this? I mean I can try out all three myself but thought I'd learn something from your collective wisdom and experience.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Tilted back is always better. Your cab could fall off a stool. I've used an old effect pedal I had no use for or a 2x4 on its side to tilt back my 1x12 when there wasn't anything better to set it on or tilt it back with. You'll hear yourself a lot better with the speaker pointed at your ears Nd not your ankle.

5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
  6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have put mine on a chair, but it seems like I lose some lows. So, I have been angling it upwards lately. I do that with my 112 combo as well as my 115 + head rig. (Just have to watch out for the head sliding, but it's ok. There's rat fur and it catches it pretty well, especially with the carrying handle right there, too).

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    +1 I've used these for years. Nice product! If you buy two, you can use one under the cab, and the other to support the amp.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I really prefer to just get 10-15 feet away from my cab in the first place. If I can't swing that sometimes I'll use this, the ChuckWedge® :

[​IMG]

In the very few rare cases that a stand seems called for, I use one of these. It's much more stable and a better height for my needs with the leg extensions removed.

9. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks guys - I recently received a new AmpWedge. That was my plan of action. Happy to know that others are going the same way.

Though there's much to be said for ChuckWedge!

I am concerned about putting my amp on the tilted cab however.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

AmpWedge will be more than happy to sell you another one to set the amp back to level...;)

My last 112 had a built in tilt-up feature in the form of a retractable handle flip-out handle on the bottom. That worked really well.

11. You will get, by far, the most loading by putting it in a corner.
    Tilt it back where it aims right at your head or whoever should hear it the most.

Corner loading will excite the whole room, so everybody will hear 80 Hz and down very easily.
    Aimed at your head, you will hear the full definition the driver can deliver.
    Those not positioned where you head is, will not hear all the highs.

Corner loading avoids: mud, blood, beer, performers who stand on cabs.
    Tilt-back always poses a risk for the amp head unless it is securely fastened.

12. Is this a monitor or do you want to carry the room?

You don't lose lows until you're about 2.5ft off the floor, you do gain mids in your ear which sounds like losing lows to you, not the audience.

13. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Great info for when a corner wall is available!

Art

14. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Could be either situation. I could have PA support or not.

So you're saying raising it up off of the floor will increase the mids and decrease the lows to me but will not make a difference in what the audience hears?

I was thinking that leaving it in contact with the floor could generate some additional lows for me and the others in the room by vibrating the floor and causing it to act as a speaker of sorts.

15. The floor coupling is lost when you go too high, over 2.5ft.

I like corner loading when appropriate. I once got prodigeous results out of a trashy 6" practice amp, bass and sax duo for my brother's wedding reception. Confounded the DJ!

Corner loading rocks hard. Like doubling up the rig compared to only having wall.

16. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Prodigious, confounding lows? I must seek the corner...

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

18. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    What is that ampwedge made of?

EDIT- Urethane. Brilliant concept despite seeing people using foam to accomplish the same thing, that is a much more professional looking setup.

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    How many feet from a wall or corner should a rear-ported cab be? I'm still experimenting.

20. RnBass

RnBass

Jan 3, 2010
    For that price it should do your load out... :bag:

Seriously, a small (and cheap) piece of stiff foam has worked for tilting my cabs for years.

21. Far enough to breath, not so far as to lose the coupling off the back wall from the front of the cab, ie not very far :eek: