Single-Coil P Bass with Slim Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM.

1. I'd love to add a single-coil P Bass to my collection in the future, but I just don't love wide, chunky necks. I could do a Warmoth build or a neck swap, but I'm curious if there are any SCPBs out there with slimmer necks, and ideally 1.5" or 1.625" widths. Any suggestions?

2. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    DFW Metro
    Unless you happen across a used listing for someone who had the same idea, I think Franken-bass is going to be the way you go on this. The other go-to option for a Fender neck is the Jazz, and they didn't start making those until 5 years after they went to the "Split P", so pretty much anything but a P neck on a SCPB is going to be anachronistic, and most bassists looking for an SCPB at all are going to want vintage spec.

J-Dub, BLDavis and DoctorZee like this.
  3. That was my hunch. I suppose the other option is buying something authentic and shaving down the neck... but I'd probably just buy a Jazz Bass neck and pop it on there.

4SG and Williethump like this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had several SCPBs from Fender (MIJ '51 RI, Sting Sig, Blue Flower RI, Squier SCPB) all of them have a 1.625" (1-5/8") nut width.

My DIY SCPB has a Guitar Mill body and a Warmoth neck with a 1.5" nut width

iammr2 and DoctorZee like this.
  5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    DFW Metro
    Mmm, unless you're really patient and really good at woodworking, I wouldn't mess with the neck even knowing you could replace it. There are dozens of crafty-type videos floating around about making a guitar out of this or that, but they always put a professionally-made neck on the thing. The neck is critical to feel, to intonation, and to the durability of the guitar. You can, at the very least, resell the stock neck to offset the cost of the replacement, as long as you don't mess with it.

lark_z and DoctorZee like this.
  6. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Check the Mike Dirnt necks out. There is at least one thinner modern neck with the Tele shaped head. I recall seeing these a few years ago when I built a parts bass. I went with the 1.75" tall narrow fret one though.

REV and DoctorZee like this.
  7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I shaved the neck on my first MIJ '51 P RI down to a 1-7/16" nut width (like the original J bass nut width) and reprofiled the back of the neck. I had never done that kind of neck work and it was before I had the 'net so I winged it myself. I went slow and it took a lot of patience but it worked out fine.

8. Would you say all of those have a fairly chunky profile, though? I’m under the impression they’re all “D shaped” or whatever Fender calls it.

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    There's a whole thread about P-basses with Jazz size necks that list options, but my search-fu is lacking today.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Mine were all a C shape similar to the standard P bass necks of their time. Not a chunky U shape.

iammr2 and DoctorZee like this.
  11. TJH3113

TJH3113

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    The Bruce Thomas Signature Profile bass is 1.62 @ the nut and I haven't put mine down since I got it. And I've never been a fan of P-Basses.

12. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sire doesn’t include nut width in its specifications for the upcoming D5 Bass, but it does have a single-coil pickup.

Huw Phillips likes this.
  13. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I had a Mike Dirnt neck, and I think it was 1.625... but it was kind of chunky. Big from front to back - which is the way I like them;)

If you build, watch out because some of that stuff has square heals, and won't work together. Like if you buy a neck from Warmoth, and try to put it on a Sting P bass body.

14. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Here ya go

PB4 KIESEL 4-STRING CLASSIC BOLT NECK ELECTRIC BASS

PB4 Classic Bass Specifications:
    • construction bolt-on neck
    • scale length 34"
    • body alder with smooth comfortable neck heel
    • neck tung-oiled maple with classic style headstock, two high-strength carbon-fiber reinforcing rods and fully-adjustable dual action truss rod
    • fingerboard ebony, 14" radius
    • inlays white pearl dots with standard black-ring Luminlay Super Blue side dots
    • neck width 1.54" wide @ nut, 2.48" wide @ 20th fret; .79" thick @ 1st fret
    • hardware chrome
    • bridge bass bridge with adjustable lockdown saddles & strings-through-body or top loading
    • tuners 20:1 ratio
    • frets 20 stainless steel medium-jumbo, .103 wide X .048 tall
    • pickup SPC split-coil with Alnico V magnets
    • electronics passive with 1 volume, 1 tone
    • strings Dunlop Super Brights
    • dimensions 44.5" long, 13.25" wide body, 1.65" thick body
    • average weight 8.25 pounds
    Looks like they have a real pretty one in stock
    Custom Shop PB4 4-String Bolt-Neck Classic Bass Serial Number 145329

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 5:37 PM
  15. Thanks, but I’m specifically talking about a single coil P Bass like the ‘51 Fender style.

16. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Tried googling “SCPB blocks binding” to see what a slab with a Geddy neck would look like.

A really cool looking Lakland pops up, along with a bunch of regular split P’s.

Would love to see what you’d do with a Warmoth full build.

DoctorZee likes this.
  17. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I got this Warmoth parts '54 P offa TalkBass a couple of years ago (see below) and it's pretty much what you're looking for with its standard contour TeleBass Jazz width neck. I'm not trying to sell it to you or anything as it's one of the best basses in my stable. However, you could easily do the same build. NOTE: the Nordstrand 51P4S hum cancelling pickup is the absolute bomb ... it's got the old school SCPB sound, is quiet as a church mouse and has excellent string to string balance with a 10" fingerboard radius Warmoth TeleBass w/Jazz width neck.

SOLD - Warmoth '54 Precision Relic

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 6:28 PM
  18. I dunno, my American PJ that has a very comfortable neck. No, it’s not as thin as a 70’s JB but it’s pretty playable. Best wishes, hope you find what you are looking for.

19. jastraw

jastraw

Dec 19, 2016
    The upcoming Sire D5 has 42mm nut width. 1.654 in.

George Dennis and lowendrv like this.
  20. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

What about those Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision Basses? I have one in the "Lake Placid" blue, great GREAT bass. Mine is in storage at the moment so I can't measure the neck, did a quick search for specs, 1.685". I don't recall the neck feeling all that wide at the nut, very comfy. Also, great factory pickup, I installed an SD rail, big mistake, it made no difference, no improvement whatsoever. Quite an economical solution to scratch that itch, especially gently used. I played mine in heavy rotation with a classic/retro country band for a couple of years, absolutely the best tool for the job.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    DoctorZee likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021