Single-Coil P Bass with Slim Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Jul 21, 2021.

1. I can’t find that Lakland, but I bet it’s nice. I have a Geddy Lee neck on my PJ bass and love it, so that’s definitely an option I’d consider. Having blocks and binding would make me chuckle because it’s so anachronistic: like the ‘50s meet the ‘70s!

Beautiful! I didn’t know Warmoth could do a Jazz neck with Tele headstock. That would be perfect.

MattZilla likes this.
  2. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    Dude, I bought one of those Fender P-Bass Noir editions a couple years ago. The nut width was the usual P-Bass width but the neck was super thin front to back. I think they called it a 'Modern C'. This thing is the complete opposite of a fat neck. I LOVE it. Try one, you'll see. Sorry about the bad photo. Trust me, this neck is the opposite of fat.
    FWIW I am a J Bass fan but I love this P neck and play it all the time.
    matte-black precision.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    DoctorZee likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Are you sure ???

All MD Sig P has his favourite thick neck even the discontinued Squier MD Sig P.

David76112 likes this.
  4. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    squier parts bass

5. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Fender Precision MIJ Okamoto Signature

MattZilla likes this.
  6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Google dissapearified it for some reason. It’s post #2 in this old book "Official" Lakland Owners Club (part 7) Though it’s more of a “what would an L1K or T-45 look like with B&B?”

I agree about the anachronism. Good luck!

7. Joris 55

Joris 55

Jun 5, 2009
    Belgium
    My Japanese Fender Precision has a really slim neck. Built in '89-'90 & most comfortable bass you can imagine.

IMG_7831.JPG

8. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Not sure what your budget is, but I believe there was a Jay Turser that was a 51 P style. Not sure about the neck on it though.

9. Shorelinegold

Shorelinegold Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2017
    All things considered, I'd rather be in Philly
    No one in their right mind would pay me to endorse them....
    Squier Classic Vibe '51 P?

LoTone likes this.
  10. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    A quick look through some pretty old threads tells me the neck is probably not huge on the Jay Turser. But still probably large than a J bass neck.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some may be able to tell the difference between the slim C neck on this and a Fender with a 1.625 nut, but the difference is negligible.
    th-jpeg-111.jpg
    Still one of the best Squier basses made, I'd buy one if I found a blue one hanging up at Guitar Center or Sam Ash, and yes, as good as quite a few Fenders.

12. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
  13. Chain_Lightning

Chain_Lightning

Sep 8, 2014
    Dude you asked Any suggestions?... no disrespect meant just man up & put on your big boy pants Don’t nickel & Dime it to death...buy that single-coil P Bass & wood shed on that Bad Boy. I have seen kids learn to play & have fun with the p bass . You are letting time pass ya by. Come on you are a bass player get it done....Come the 2nd set of your gig you will be playing that axe with out giving it a 2nd though & having fun. give your self more credit. good Luck & enjoy that single-coil P Bass

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have one of the Walnut Squier P basses. The neck is a beautiful thing on it. It feels like a Geddy Lee neck but with a 1.65 nut width. Just get one of those and a single coil SD pickup and order a custom pickguard. You would be done for under 600 Im sure, and it would be a killer bass

15. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Putting a J width neck on a P-bass or clone is dead easy. I bought a $40 Kmise maple/maple neck to put on my Behringer P-clone and it was a perfect fit. Pretty pale maple too, though the frets are sharp edged. Of course finding a SCPB P-bass would be ideal. Good luck.
    dscn0491.jpg

waynobass likes this.
  16. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

This is what I played for years in a country band. To be exact, the difference is between OP's 1.625 and around 1.65-1.68, depending on what year it was made. C profile. If you can feel that difference you have among the most sensitive hands on the planet. And yes, one of the nicest Squiers I've played, definitely in the overlap zone with the so-called "higher" Fender lines. You won't find my Lake Placid Blue specimen hanging in a shop anytime soon, maybe if you're patient one will pop up, but the White Blonde and 2-Tone Burst are very nice. $429 NIB, not bad considering Fender is really gouging us these days.

jd56hawk likes this.
  18. Hano Rokpony

Hano Rokpony

Jan 17, 2021
    Oregon
    I think Sire/Marcus Miller recently put some out. I got one of their J Basses and it's decent.

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, I regret not buying an LPB one when I had the chance.

20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The (humbucker style) Squier VM I had was slim front-to-back so was very comfortable. I presume the necks on the SCPB were similar. It's not necessarily slim in the sense you suggested, but worth checking out. Not that I measured it, but it was definitely a bit wider than jazz-sized necks I have on everything else. I wish I'd kept mine :/. It reminded me a lot of the Squier JV and 84 MIJ Fender PBs I had in terms of neck feel, and possibly slightly nicer than the Fender, if not as good as the old Squier, although some of that may have been down to lacquer.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021