Single Part Sheet Music

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by s7on3d, Dec 28, 2003.

1. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Hey guys,
    I'd really like to buy some classical sheet music, but only the DB part. My teacher has a book with the DB and cello parts of all of Beethoven's symphonies. I'd like to purchase something like that; Beethoven's Symphonies, some of Tchaikovsky's work, some Mahler and so on. So the question is which publisher prints this kind of stuff? Someone has to; the DB players in symphonies don't sit there reading from the full score...
    Anyways, for now I'm playing Beethoven's 5th from the full score which is OK for practicing, but I have to flip the page every 2 minutes so there's no way that it could ever practical for a preformance (not to mention that Full Scores are expensive). Anyways, if i don't get any replies then I'll ask my teacher where he gets all his music from and I'll post the publisher here.

Thanks in advance,
  2. has 32 different books of excerpts. (not necessarily the whole part, just part of the part - the part which you are most likely going to need to practice!)
  3. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    First of all, thanks for the speedy reply. Second, I've seen the excerpt books ,but i'm looking for the whole DB part. I really like following the development of the music (both on paper and while listening to the piece). What do the players in symphonies play from?
  4. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    For what it's worth, I've been downloading MIDI orchestrations off the internet, loading them in Sibelius (music software), and playing the file. You can watch the score go by, play along with it, isolate the bass part, etc. And the best part is it is free. (The midi files, that is). Finale probably does this as well. You can dl free versions of that, though they are limited. Anybody know of any other software that can do this?

Do a google search. This collection is particularly rich:

It isn't perfect, the sounds are a bit mechanical, much of the expression is missing, but it's another learning aid, and can be good if you really can't find anything else.
  5. They play from published parts available from Patelson's in NYC.

Patelson's also has gems like Oscar Zimmerman's fingerings of ALL the Beethoven symphonies.
  6. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    Awwww, man,
    I cnt believe anyone else hasn't clued him in on the Oscar Zimmerman series of "The Complete Double Bass Parts." Stay away from the exerpts (publised by the other Zimmermann, Fred) and go right to the complete bass parts. At a minimum you ought to have the Beethoven, Brahms, Bach and Tchaikowssky books committted to memory. I find the "36 Overtures". Mahler and "Selected Romantic Symphonies" equally rewarding.
  7. doublebassist

Dec 31, 2002

I know what you mean about wanting parts. A couple of years ago I went about compiling my own set of parts. So far I have 3 volumes of alphabetized material totaling just over 1000 pages. All the big stuff is complete (Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart etc). I created my own edition by eliminating all the fingerings and bowings so that you can cleanly write in your own. Let me know if you find this interesting -