Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sipho Gumede

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sipho Gumede was a South African fusion bassist who died in 2003 or 2004. I was recently in South AFrica and I picked up two of his CDs, "20 Years of Life, Live @ the Bassline" and "African Sunrise." I especially like the live album. His playing was very melodic and he favored a straight finger style approach and he used a bridge pickup tone which enhanced his clarity. He used a Warwick Thumb 5 and later a six. If you guys have heard of him, let me know. If you get a chance to get some of his music, check it out. Finallyu, if you can get to South Africa, or anywhere else in Africa, check out the musicans. The continent is full of musical monsters!

2. ZekeO

ZekeO

Jan 13, 2009
    Old thread but just discovered his music today.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Cool, I just wish someone from South Africa who knew him or about him would post. I haven't been back to South Africa since 2005, but I hope to find more info on Gumede when I go back in a few years.:)

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  5. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    When I went to Gerald Veasely's bass Bootcamp on '06 Gerald had just released a CD with a track entitled "Sipho". I never heard of Sipho Gumede until today but it makes sense now.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Ha! That's funny, I always assumed it was a tribute to drummer Sipho Kunene!

7. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Well, I never heard of him either so you may be right! LOL :D I think I'll drop him a e-mail and ask him about it.