1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SIT Strings ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zbassb4, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Zbassb4

Zbassb4

Mar 16, 2013
    Kelowna BC
    So I recently bought a ESP LTD B4e bass and I love it , it is beautiful and sounds great , well did. I don't know if the cold air or something affects the strings sounds stupid but im just wondering because now the strings sound like they are touching the frets and it just rattles when I play and its quite annoying.

So do I buy new strings because they are just stock SIT strings or is that them just breaking in because I've played my bass a lot ?

2. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree

Sep 19, 2011
    Sounds like your neck has moved and you need an adjustment. Either read some of the setup links here at TB or get yourself to a pro and have a setup done. That should fix most of this.

3. ^^^
    Yep, this.

5sg.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Whenever an instrument like this moves from one environment to another the wood will adjust to the new temperature and humidity a bit. The neck probably needs just a bit of an adjustment, and possible a wee little raise of the bridge saddles. Your strings are not the culprit.

5. Zbassb4

Zbassb4

Mar 16, 2013
    Kelowna BC
    The bass is a Solid body neck through so how can I get it adjusted ?

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Truss rod access should be under the little platic panel on the headstock next to the nut. If you are not comfortable accessing it and giving it some turns with the proper hex key it should not cost a ton just to have a tech poke an eyeball at it.

7. Alicebass

Alicebass

Dec 16, 2012
    Solid neck??

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Based on your posts here in this thread, I am going to suggest you take it to a tech for a set-up.

As for the SIT strings, I bought a set for an electric guitar and didn't like them. They don't stay in tune any better than any other string.

9. Zbassb4

Zbassb4

Mar 16, 2013
    Kelowna BC
    Oh ok so any music shop can do that for me ?