Sittin' in...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by joninjapan, Oct 2, 2005.

1. joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I always say yes when I get an opportunity to "sit in". Last Saturday night while setting up for the "Coffeehouse" (I run the sound), the guest for that night heard I play bass and asked if I'd sit in with him and another guitarist who was coming. I didn't have my bass with me so I told him "maybe next time". I was fighting the beginnings of a cold too, so I really just wanted to set the sound and leave.
    I had met the guy before, he is a great blues guitarist, so I was a bit disappointed... about five minutes later my wife walks in with a gig case..."Look what I found, it was upstairs!". A Jazz bass. I have never played a Jazz bass before, but I had to now. Before "showtime" we went through three songs, all original blues numbers... then went live.
    Turned out the guy is a well know music producer and writer, as well as guitar teacher. The other guitarist was a student of his, he has only played guitar for 4 years, 2 years under this guy... he was great.

We played for two hours, mostly original blues tunes, a few gospel numbers, a few covers including Purple Haze and Crossroads (first time for both), he'd call out the keys then we'd go, he even made sure I had "solo" time in most of the songs!!! I am not a soloist!!! but it was soooo cool.... and I didn't embarrass myself:)

Never say to "no" to a chance to play, you never know what might happen.

Maybe I'll get a Jazz bass.... :hyper:
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Way to go! Sooaaahhhh, whose bass was it?
  3. joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I never found out who the owner of the bass was, it was in a music equipment room, asked permission to use it and was told "OK" . Black body, white guard... fit the mood of the show real nice.

I did have some confusion at first, since the last live performance I did was a jazz gig a few weeks prior...and I really had to study hard for that... in my mind were all the jazz progressions...but they seemed to mix well with the blues :cool: