Six String Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Staalsen1, Mar 12, 2010.

1. I am finishing up my latest build - Description: Neck thru 6 string bass - body = paduk,walnut,poplar,walnut,paduk - The neck is 3 piece laminated walnut & Tiger maple with ipe wings on headstock - 2" wide at nut. Electronics= SGD Neodymium Magnetic Soapbar Pickup and an Artec under saddle Acoustic Piezo Pickup- The electronics system allows you to pick either magnetic, both or just acoustic pickup - has belended out - or sepereate outs for just acoustic or just magnetic - Swithces= Piezo phase reversal, the soapbar is essentially a humbucker so there is a DPDT switch that allows series, paralleel & coil cut switching on the magnetic pickup- Has custom pickup cover - Tung oil and wax rubbed finish- Pao Ferro Fretboard- with 29 frets - Wilkinson Tuners - Dual truss rods- (2) Cocentric pots- allow magnetic volume & tone- Piezo volume & Tone - String thru body design and custom made wood bridge with black horn saddle & black horn Nut - I hope you guys like it - Let me know - Thanks, Staalsen

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nice! Love the woods. How do you like the Artec electronics? They certainly are cheap, which gives one pause, but they claim to have a lot of features.

Got to get around to building a six one day...

3. They seem to be satifactory - Nothing over the top, but very functional !

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Great looking bass!

I have also made a padouk-walnut-maple 6 string bass with SGD pickup...

How do you like the pickup?

I know I love mine, it sounds very warm and full....

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Oh - is the bridge floating, or fixed? If it's fixed, how do you address intonation issues, since it's a fretted instrument?

6. Fantastic work! Really looking forward to hearing what this one sounds like. I'm an SGD customer too, so I certainly echo renniw's sentiment towards the pickups.

Whenever I see a 6-string Bass thread on here I have to click on it! I've never been disappointed, and my only wish was that I was able to play right-handed instruments in order to appreciate them even more :)

7. Codymb

Codymb

Mar 26, 2007
    Burlington, NC
    Looks awesome!

6 String, Neck through, Single cut, walnut and paduk are all words that excite me.

Please post moar pics!

8. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How do you plan to intonate it..? Looks beautiful.

9. The bridge is floating, but there is the issue of the under saddle piezo- which will need the hole for the wire to enter into the control cavity which will be drilled from the front into control cavity - so if the bridge is moved too much the hole must be larger to allow movement for intonation- but i could have a slot that allows for movement and a larger footprint on the floating bridge to cover the slot for the wire ?? If you guys got some ideas please interject- been playing with some interesting options - The SGD pickups are great & David is wondeful to work with - He will go above and beyond to make sure you are good!!! - I will post another pick of a 4 string i did - Thanks Guys- Staalsen Custom Guitars

10. Great looking bass. Padouk is a great tone wood. I bet that sounds sweet.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021