Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six-string Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therealting, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Is it possible to get a decent six-string Jazz-style bass without going down the custom route?

Thanks,
    Johann

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm getting one of these in a fretless 6 in the near future. They come standard in 4-5-6-7 string versions.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Would you consider those "production" basses though? I think the list is like 1900, correct?

5. I'll be getting a low end jazz 7 string :D

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    they ain't custom... they are optionable, but they are simply jazz basses. There is a price and option list up at www.thelowend.net somewhere.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I can't wait to see that one! How do you string your 7? extra low or high?

8. Honestly, I'll have to wait and see. I tuned the GT7 fretless (thanks Mark) with a low F# and it just sounds bit^@ing. :D

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Atelier Z also makes 6 string jazzes, called the Beta Six. The body shape is different, but I assume it needs to be once you get up to 6-strings.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

they are sharp! Do they do a vintage version with control plate and guard?

11. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    If think it would be possible to get one, I think maybe i've seen one with a pickguard, but really i don't know. You could always ask the guys at Atelier Z, the main builder Mas Hino used to work for Pensa guitars in NYC so I assume he speaks english. I remember one guy on harmony-central said he ordered his direct from Atelier Z, sp unless he speaks japanese he must have gotten english service too.

12. All the nice stuff is always across the pond. :)

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just put a deposit down on a 5-string similar to the white one above, but trans-white over ash and with chrome hardware. Also requested a sadowsky-style clear half guard.

I bet the 6's will be cool!

Will