Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six strings in the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 6, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a six string bass but finding them quite difficult to find here in the UK. Also I have so idea what i would like to get.

Got a budget of about £1000 and been thinking about:

Yamaha TRB II
    Spector not sure of the model
    Ibanez BTB 406Q
    Maybe a Status but don't know how much they go for.
    ESP (not seen any about though)
    Conklin GT-7 if there available in the UK

Does anybody have any suggestions of basses and somewhere to get it from as well. I need something with a versatile tone, very stable neck, good for chords and tapping and you know just generally good.

The further question is while I may struggle to find a nice 6er for £1000 I could get a pretty good 5er for around that and string it w/high c. Do any of you extended range players find that you don't need the low b and the high c in the same setting.

Thanks you any information any one can provide

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Not what you want to hear but...

I went into Sound Control, London to try out 6-strings and there wasn't a single sixer in there! Tens of fours and fives but not one six (despite me phoning and checking that they had some)!

Hopeless. Should have gone to The Bass Gallery.

Alex

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What shops have you got in Manchester? Didn't it have a Bass Centre once or was that in another universe....? :D

If you don't have any choice locally, it might be worth calling both the Bass Centre and The Gallery in London - they'll be able to advise what range of suitable stock they've got in (six string basses that fit your £1000 budget, including any extras you need and less whatever the trip will cost). Both are good places to deal with and that might be the way to go if you can travel down at fairly short notice (otherwise they might have sold all the basses they talk about before you get there!).

Wulf

4. Mmmh, how about one of these?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Very nice I like the Budda Conklin but have no clue what the other is. Care to enlighten me?

Wolf yer the is a bass centre in manchester but they never have any 6ers in unless u order it in and then I only want to try the thing. Also I find the service and customer care crap there always on the phone and never with the customer. So I fI can avoid the place I will.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ive always found napper to be helpful whenever i go into the bass centre.

or you could go talk to jay at dawsons on portland street. i think they had a couple of 6's in last time i was there. to be honest, even if they dont then its worth it to go try the g & l's they have that its almost impossible to get anywhere else in the uk ;)

7. PM sent.

The other bass is a Phantom XTasy II by German Luthier Eduard Tüske. Tiger maple bolt-on neck and solid (!) tiger maple body, two Rough Crystal soapbars and tree band electronics. It sounds as it looks: bright with a huge fundamental and a nice growl.

http://www.phantom-guitars.de

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    PM'ed ya back.

Toastedweed - I've always done my business with Dawsons I usually deal with Rick but last time I went in they didn't have anything. Also stockport store is closer to me so I usually end up in that one.

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The Gallery is a good place to check out, and the Bass Centre in London always has 'some' sixes in stock...

As for specific models - the ones worth trying below a grand include the TRBs, Dean Edge 6, the various Ibanez 6s, the Washburns... no idea what Peavey have got in your price range, but it's often worth a look.

But your other option is also worth considering, getting a 5 with a high C, especially as you can put a hipshot on it, and have that tuned to low B, so it's there if you want it. That way you'll have way more choice (though you may have to get the nut replaced)

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

10. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I second the bass Gallery advice, they usually have a good choice of nice bass and the staff are very helpful.

/shameless plug: I have a nice 6 string MTD for sale in the UK :D

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A little bit beyond the stated budget though! Having said that, the MTD looks gorgeous...

Wulf

12. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I''ve also found them to be disinterested... I called them up abouta month ago looking for someone in the UK that would sell me a BBE B-Max bass preamp, and the bloke who answered the phone said "what's that? never heard of it, mate...." in a pretty 'couldn't care less' kinda way

needless to say, I went elsewhere

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For around that price, or not that much more, you can get a *handmade* 6 from a UK maker:

http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/default.htm

If, that is, you stick to the less fancy "trim" levels, like the Standard or Deluxe bolt-on--the Elite thru-neck can get pricey, though not unfairly so, considering what some boutique basses cost. I have two of Jon's basses; that's one in my avatar. Not only are the prices reasonable, but you're dealing with one guy, who actually makes the bass himself.

I dunno if Jon is back from MusikMesse yet, but you can give him a call or e-mail him. He's a good guy and is really interested in trying to give players what they want. You could even go to his shop--he's in Sheffield, I dunno how far that is from you.

14. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I had the opportunity to try a few Shuker basses at the Musikmesse, they are very good instruments and Jon is a very nice guy.

15. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Check your email and PM, I am selling both a Conklin GT7 and Yammy TRB6P.

Regards

Las Olas

16. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Shuker basses are really good!!!
    John is from Shefield, and his prices are very low for the quality.

17. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I sent you an email too.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    You guys have some really nice basses that MTD is lovely but not a fan of burl and the price is out of my range but it's nice to dream.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have been given me and I've been swamped by pm's at the moment I have 2 basses that i have seen that look really really nice to me that i'm really concidering. Not saying which as I don't think that would be fair.

Thanks alot guys.