Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Basses? ANY INFO?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Hey i was just surfing the net and happened to notice this company www.skjolddesign.com Anybody know anything about this company and how the basses are?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's a couple of posts...

I did a search & THIS is what it found...

Why, trading in your Pedulla already?

3. i said i was just SURFING THE NET....geez people have to really get off me with this whole thing sometimes ur just curious to know about different companies

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Geez bro, little sensitive,, aren't ya... Just hackin on ya!

5. sry i guess...its just a lot of ppl been doin recently

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    THAT, is EXACTLY why I thought it was funny!!! :hyper:

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice bodies and necks but I hate the headstock. It looks huge!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know much about them yet, but I will after the 31st. Our D/FW get together is going to be at Skjold's shop. I can't wait!!!:D

9. Teenage,
    I live close to Pete's shop and met him at his booth at a local guitar show. The build quality is all there. Playability is good too. Pete's a great guy too.

A big plus for working with Skjold is his turnaround time is a fraction of other builders.

If I had to say a downside, he is still building his company so he may not give you as many options on electronics as you would like. Some are not crazy about his designs -- but that's subjective. He's got it where it counts though -- quality, service, playability, sound....

and price :D

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have played a few. I thought they were fairly well done. Build quality looked nice but I didn't really like the feel and the playability for me wasn't there like some other brands I like. Acoustically I thought it was ok, but I wasn't impressed enough to want to plug it in. That was just my take.

11. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

The Sjkold Custom series is easily one of the finest basses I've ever played. He's built some that are as light as 6.5 lbs. I've played Steinbergers that weigh more. Moreover, Pete Skjold is a fine individual that has a real heart for bass, and he's a heck of a player to boot.

vid link

He's the guy playng the silver Skjold.

12. Pete is a great guy. I was lucky enough to meet him at the D/FW GTG. The basses were great. And didn't all sound the same. He's flexible in the ability to customize to your desires. He's also working on getting his own pup's and preamp. So before long, you can get the Skjold pickups in your Skjold bass. I'm curious to hear how they turn out.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was really impressed with his customs as well, good punchy sounds out of the EMGs he's using in them. The playability was great, all 35" scale, allthough the neck is more round on the thumb side than I would prefer (compared to my semi-eliptical - translated to pretty flat Dingwall.) His basses are light as mentioned above, dont neck dive as the large headstocks might make you guess, and are comfortable to play. Above all, they sound good and seem to have a lot of versatility tone-wise as well.

I give em 2 thumbs up! Im actually planning another visit to his shop to watch him working on some things to get an idea how its done. He says he's not particularly conventional in his construction techniques so Id get to see something maybe a little different than what other guys are doing. Whatever it is he's doing different, it certainly isnt a bad thing by the way his instruments sound and play.

14. I had the pleasure meeting Pete and playing some of his basses at last Saturday's GTG, and I am very impressed.
    Light weight, easy playability, and Pete offers now various electronics on his models. I like his different looking head stock and believe that Pete will definitely make his mark in the industry. I like his instruments a lot.

:bassist:

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's about my ony beef with otherwise great looking basses. No mistaking a Skjold, certainly, but it's not my bag, as it were.

I really dig that silver one I've been seeing pictures of in the DFW get together thread though.

16. freakbass

The headstock really isn't as big in person.

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    /agree, actually I thought the headstocks on the Shadowsky's present were much larger and unruley than any of Pete's. Heck, I think Fender headstocks are bigger, just different shaped.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My beef with the headstock isn't the size; it's that it doesn't look "right" with the bass. Kinda like the headstock on a Pulcinella doesn't look quite kosher for the body syle. Not too big, but just doesn't "fit" the bass. Also to be fair, I feel many, if not most, Alembics are this way.

This is, of course, purely subjective.

19. freakbass

not a very good pic, but it shows the proportions.

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Right on, I can totally understand that, I actually tend to agree. Same with Alembics, just an asthetic that I dont prefer in a headstock with those body styles. Ritter basses are to me, a good example of perfect headstock for body shapes.