Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Skjold Custom Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    anyone has experience with Skjold basses? please let me know I am looking to get a custom series bass, please let me know! :help:

2. Ha! Check out Tom Bowlus thread at the top of the 'off topic' site.... we played just about every top-of-the-line bass in existence this weekend, and the Skjold was in virtually everyones top 5 list. Pictures and everything.... start on about page 14 or 15.

Also, PM Tom Bowlus... the only person that has played more Skjolds that Tom is Pete... and I'm not even sure about that.

Ken

Plus... just look up a few threads in the thread list... another recent Skjold thread. I was confused a little in playing a very, very early one and having some nit pics... but the more recent one I played at the GTG was the 'cats meow'!

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Custom 5, and Exotic Custom 4, a Stage 4 (older model) and an Exotic Custom 5 Fretless in the works. They are very well made, beautiful instruments that play great and offer a wide range of usable tones. And considering what Pete sells them for, they are a true bargain, IMHO.

Feel free to hit me with any more specific questions, or as Ken says, read through the long GTG thread and hear what some other folks have to say.

Tom.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Jauqo's post from this morning.

6. Tom have you or anyone else you know of been able to record a skjold?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Skjold himself posted a vid with the latest one, i forget where it is, its in the thread abouit his new bass.

8. I saw some vids from the new tom skjold thread. Is that the one you're talking about? I was looking for a recording that's direct if possible... kinda hard to tell from a video recorder's mic what a bass will sound like ya know?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    true.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Juneau has some clips, and I have some halfway decent clips of MikeBass going off on my Skjold Exotic Custom 4. Once I figure out how to post them (lots of offers from people to host - just a matter of getting the clips to them), I will try to link to them here.

Tom.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you want to know how they sound, think MTD clarity, Fodera fullness, and a low B that's bigger/tighter than a Roscoe. :D

12. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

ive got a exotic custom 5,a custom 5,and a custom 5 fretless.i havent had a chance to record with the fretless yet but ive done quite a bit of recording with the other two.honestly i was thrilled.i havent gotten a final mix yet but from what ive heard it is sounding great.the engeneer loves them as well.we went back and listened to some tracks we recorded over the last couple years and you can definatly tell when the skjold basses entered the picture.
    as tom has said they are beautiful basses and the playability is fantastic.i love mine.

13. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I live right down the road from Pete's and I've played probably a dozen different basses built by Pete.
    I have two Custom 5 strings being built right now!
    They're the best basses I've ever played, period.
    If you have any questions, give me a shout.

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I would chime in here, but my Skjold hasn't been upgraded yet with his new stuff, but I have heard the new stuff, and they are the best sounding basses I have ever heard. His pups & preamp are far superior than Bart's, EMG's, or Fralin's.

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    As hard as this is to believe, noting Roscoe's well deserved rep, this is true. We recently A/B'd my LG-3005, which definitely has a classic Roscoe killer B and Bowlus' Skjold 5. The Skjold was noticeably thicker, but still tight and well defined. It was a thing to behold thru a huge Sadowsky tube amp and a pair of 410's, or a prototype Bergantino IP310 (310 cab with a 1KW integrated amp). :)

16. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz

i looked really hard at the roscoes as well.i noticed that about the skjold(the b string) and i liked the playability better also.went with the skjold.ill tell you though the preamp is tough to beat.i still havent found a situation where i couldnt get a good sound,no matter what gig or venue.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you go to this link and click on "SkjoldEC4" you can hear MikeBass going off on my Exotic Custom 4.

Tom.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Dang, sounds good. What are the specs on that beast?

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Skjold Exotic Custom 4

spanish cedar body
    fiddleback mahogany top/back
    multiple body laminates (incl. thick flamed maple)
    7-piece maple/bloodwood/purpleheart neck
    macassar ebony board (with gold pearl inlay and position markers)
    Skjold SC1 pickups (ebony covers)
    Skjold preamp
    Skjold bridge
    ebony knobs soon to come
    Hipshot tuners (with D-tuner on the E)