Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sklold Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I got the chance last weekend to play a Skjold and it was a much welcome experience.I had been hearing nothing but positive comments on this talented luthiers work and I was definately not let down.the Bass played like a well known old Friend after having not seen each other for a while and it had tonal options to die for,I was able to go from the old school warmth of a P-Bass to the most pronounced sizzleling brilliance of a modern electric bass and every where in between.for me this would definately be a Bass that would not leave the studio.The craftsmanship was top notch and every aspect of detail and care that went in the making of this instrument was not over looked in any way by Pete Skjold,it balanced so well that it was easy to almost forget that I had this bass on my leg.if any one is interested in checking out one of the new up and coming talents in electric Bass building today,if you can check out the Talents of Pete Skjold.

for more info

skjolddesign.com

Attached Files:

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    As a disciple of all things Skjold, I'd encourage folks to check out the Skjold web site (skjolddesign.com) and the Skjold owners forum (skjoldplayers.com) as well.
    Not only does Pete build incredible instruments but he's got a new pre-amp in the works and as welll as a new line of bass cabs too.
    This spring is going to be Skjolderific!

3. Transcending

Transcending

Aug 29, 2005
    Dallas
    Mr. Skjold is from here in dallas if I'm not mistaken...

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    He's just up the road in Lewisville!

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Glad you got to check one out Jaquo. I keep telling people that are wondering what the big deal is to try one. The electronics in them are the most versatile and musical I have heard yet.

6. Played Tom's last Friday. The pre's are amazing... just a ton of different tones in there. Great playability, light, nice fit and finish (not the absolute best fit and finish, compared to MTD, Fodera, etc.), but very good. The tone is and playability are among the best ever IMO.

7. I only have experience with the two I played at Tom's house.... and again, the fit and finish is great. Just looking at seams, the way the woods are joined, the actual finish material, the actual grain in the wood, etc. just seemed a touch below 'the masters... especially Mike Tobias... just literal perfection in the six that we played Friday)' and not quite the utter perfection I've seen in the Stambaugh's I've tried.... however, it's surely not a problem, and of course, just my opinion after only seeing two (I assume you've only seen one!)

I would be very happy owning one!

8. One thing I can also toss in about Skjold, is that Pete is a really, really nice guy and takes the time to answer any question you may have about his instruments. I am definitely going to invest in one of his instruments in the future.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm glad that you had a chance to hear a Skjold, Jauqo! Pete makes some of the very best basses out there, IMHO, and they are very, very versatile.

Tom.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Keep in mind, my Custom 5 is actually one of Pete's earlier works. He has changed his finish quite a bit over time. My 4-string is more akin to what he is putting out now.

Tom.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey Jaquo, where did you get to try one out, and which one was it if you dont mind me asking?

12. I didn't realize that. The 4 is literally perfect. My comments were based on the 5 string, which I now understand is a very early example of his work... and it's also very, very nice by the way.... no foolin' about that B string!

I love Pete's single cut design, and am looking forward to taking the plunge on one of those.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I played it at the Lakeland factoryFeb 18)I'm not familiar with Pete's modles so I couldnt say.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That's odd, curious why one was at the Lakland Factory now hehe. I assume it was active, did it have sweepable mids, bass boost, and treble cut/boost with an ultrabright pull knob?

What pickups were in it? A single big pickup, two smaller ones, or EMG's or Bart's?

What color/woods was it if you were able to tell?

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya Pete totally changed the finish he uses. He is now using a poly finish, which I believe comes out smoother, and harder than the older finishes. Tom's 4-string has the new finish, the 5 has the older material.

16. There's a picture in the original post! I assume someone bought it to the hang that Dan hosted to introduce the new Lakland pickups.

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Duh, I didnt even see the pic lol. From the pics, it looks like a custom series, offset '92 body shape. Did it have a nice back on it as well as the top, or just body wood showing on the back?

BTW, those are SC-1 pickups, and should be the current Skjold/East pre-amp.

18. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I have one on order, minus the pre (details to follow), and just based on how great Pete has been through the process it will be a great bass!

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that was Tom Wick's bass.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The Bass belonged to TB member BIGREDSIX and the back of the body was Ash with some very focused grain.