1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Skyline - Don't bother

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Some friends and I went to see Skyline last night. We should have listening to Rotten Tomatoes. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It's an amalgamation of several classic alien invasion films (close encounters of the 3rd kind, Independence day, War of the World, etc) with none of the qualities that made any of those good. Cliche, 1 dimensional character with terrible dialogue throughout and some surprisingly slow pacing considering what's going on. It would have been a mediocre to bad film if not for the ending, which was completely ridiculous.

Don't let the trailers fool you. Parts of it look pretty, but it's just plain awful.

2. Thought this would be a Lakland bashing thread.

And what did you expect? The trailers looked horrible.

3. I was expecting something terrible, honestly. It was my roommates idea to see it.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    All I wanna know is HOW DO ALL THESE FLOURESCENT BULB EYEBALL ALIENS BUILD SUCH ADVANCED SHIPS? Nary a one has opposable thumbs.

In fact, i ask this in almost all of these movies, including D9. Supro advanced ship design, totally belying the makeup of the species flying it. They are bugs, but they fly perfectly symmetrical, refined hardware.

5. Or a Nissan GTR bashing thread.

Yo dawg, I heard you like Skylines, so I ...

nah.

6. SgtCandy

SgtCandy

May 8, 2010
    Scotland
    It's from the same guys that brought us AvP:Requiem. That should've been your first clue.......

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the aliens you're seeing might not be the ones building the ships. or the ones in charge, for that matter.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I can appreciate that, and that possibility was not lost on me..but I say this much like I argue the Mon Calamari also built their own ships in their own shipyards... and they have soft jumbo shrimp for fingers. My argument stands. :D

Same with ID4. Same with ET. They were botanists fer chrissakes. About the only species that resembled / reflected their hardware in a logical way were the aliens in the original War of the Worlds...with their glowing tri-color christmas tree light "eyes". Ok, not even really then.

9. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    That's why Starship Troopers was so realistic, LOL :)

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the fact that the mon cal have fingers is sufficient for them to develop tools that work with them :).

now, of course they can't be faulted if those tools end up smelling like delicious cocktail sauce.

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    They couldn't place a single piece of a plot in the trailer. I wouldn't expect something to develop from nothing.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Of course not...but, suspiciously no seafood on the menu...
    [​IMG]

13. The Mon Calamari also produce some almost championship caliber NFL head coaches:

[​IMG]

;)

14. Everything in the OP makes me really wanna see this flick.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

YEAH! They might have sent their space-ship building jobs to another planet, displacing their own world's employees.

Y'know? Aliens, doing the work their own kind won't do.