1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

skype/facetime lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paradog, Mar 31, 2012.

1. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    I saw a thread that mentioned this in passing...has anyone ever done this method of instruction or receive instruction this way? besides obvious audio issues, what are some of the concerns with this?

I am looking for a teacher that can teach an old dog... but since my life is a busy one...looking to meet once a month. Looking to learn jazz, blues, rock...finger method, no slap (at least not for a year).

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I do Skype lessons with Anthony Wellington. It's been great. He's a phenomenal teacher.

Pros outweigh the cons in my book.
    You can take lessons with ANYONE, not just someone who lives nearby. That's HUGE, and it's why I take skype lessons with Anthony. :D
    Also, there's no drive time. If I take a lesson with someone who lives in San Jose, I have about 90 minutes of driving (total) to my hour long lesson. If they're in San Francisco, I add about 3-4 hours of driving for a one hour lesson.
    Skype? Fire it up, start, finish.
    So in my mind you get MORE for your money (counting travel time).

The downside is that you need a teacher who is comfortable with the medium - there are some tricks to doing it. Also, obviously, you need decent bandwidth, but that's about it.

I strongly recommend it, unless you have a really killer, experienced, together, world-class teacher right close by.

3. Alembic7

Alembic7

Mar 13, 2012
    Atlanta and all northern Areas
    Author The Groove Monster Method Bass Guidebook
    My experience with Skype as a teacher has been good and students like it too! Using a small bass amp works good if your using the mic on your computer, it does not need to be cranked.Using some speakers hooked up to your computer works great! I play directly plugged in through a m audio interface and monitor the audio through my tannoy near field monitors of what I'm receiving as well as what I am playing. You can also receive written score or chord charts or tab using the text feature. So I would give skype a total thumbs up. I would be happy to work with you in any time frame that works for you. I have over 30 years experience, learn more at www.groovemonster.net .
    Thanks Winn

4. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
    what is this audio interface you speak of? is it Mac or PC based?

5. Alembic7

Alembic7

Mar 13, 2012
    Hi, Its a m audio fast track. I am using it with my mac air book
    but I think it's also pc compatable. It's pretty basic it has 1 XLR
    "microphone" input and 1 1/4 inch standard input for your bass or anything that uses a standard cord. It also has a headphone jack,as far as input control it has a mic gain,instrument gain and a output knob. It interfaces using a usb. I use Tannoy reveal near field monitors, they are self powered and biamped
    and have 60 watts each, they sound amazing! and they handle bass very well. Hope this info helps

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  7. Alembic7

Alembic7

Mar 13, 2012
    Hi Rick, This unit or something similar is a must have if your
    into recording at home or using Skype. Guitar center puts them on sale all the time. Thanks for posting the link!

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Bump.

I haven't tried it but if someone wanted to take a lesson from me and couldn't meet me in person, I'd be happy to give it a try. There are limitations but I've no mind to write it off.

9. I’ve thought about taking lessons via “video” but I am unsure for a few reasons.

1. Internet speeds: Not sure about the US, but where I am in the middle of nowhere Australia, the speed (around 4mbps) seems to slow for any sort of quality conversation, let alone learning.
    2. Sound & Light: I’m sure the teacher will have adequate sound and light for me to see & hear what I should be learning, but I’m not sure if I have adequate for the teacher to gauge what I am doing or doing wrong.
    3. Dedicated Space: when travelling to a lesson it is a given that the teacher will have some sort of studio to allow uninterrupted learning. I don’t have that at my house.

If these things can be overcome, I think Skype/FaceTime would be a great way for people to get access to first class teachers, when residing in second class areas. It is pretty cool to think that I could get lessons from a pro in New York or Nashville in the middle of nowhere rural Australia.