1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap Bass Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joaquin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Joaquin

Joaquin

Nov 4, 2006
    I have to do a couple sounds that need to have a little slap bass......is there an effect that could do the trick?.........I can do it with adjusting the knobs on my bass or gear.......not trying to be lazy.....but it is just for a couple of parts in a song..........

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I don't think there are any effects that will simulate slap bass. Stop being lazy and just slap the part.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Are you looking for an effect that gives you a slap sound while playing fingerstyle or something that gives you a better slap sound while slapping?

4. I had a zoom 3000b that had a slap effect while you played fingerstyle. It's an older pedal so there must be some company out there with a good sounding one.

5. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Any slap effect will produce lackluster slap sound compared to the original slap sound. So, heed the warning before you spend a bunch of money on stuff.

6. Set your action low and pluck hard.. it'll give you a similar sound.

7. Joaquin

Joaquin

Nov 4, 2006
    I am playing finger style........I can slap but the way I would have to adjust everything while on stage might take some time. We do more of a smooth jazz style but have one or two songs kicked up........with a little funk but we play at really low volumes......

8. Have you tried using a filter? Not so much slap sound but some might give you the desired funk effect.

9. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    What about just an EQ pedal? Set it up for just those parts where you need the slap sound and kick it off for the rest?

10. Joaquin

Joaquin

Nov 4, 2006
    What is the best way to set the EQ pedal for a slap effect or something similar.....that sounds very logical......

11. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Well its subjective, but maybe start with the "smiley face"...i.e. cut the mids and keep the lows and highs

12. I never cut my mids... ever, lol. I recommend boosting the bass and treble and just going for it. Maybe I'm weird but I usually don't need to change the EQ for slapping vs. fingerstyle.

13. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    For a more percussive sound, I like to scoop around 1kHz (a bit lower will do the trick as well, from 500Hz), and then boost a bit (3db ~ 6dB) 100Hz and around 8dB at 2,8kHz ~ 3kHz.

Cutting 1k will give a nice percussive feel, specially when attacking the strings hard (pick and slap) while cutting a bit lower (500Hz ~ 750Hz) usually provides a rounder, warmer feel, in my opinion, better suited for percussive, but softer fingering (fast heavy metal metal for example).

Best Regards!

Doug.

14. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    If this is being recorded there are several keyboards that have different "slap effects" but TTBoMK there isn't anything for a Bass but the technique itself: why would anyone sink the effort into something the Bassist could simply accomplish?

If you DO have a Keyboardist he could run the Bass line and retain it: mixing it into the recording through your channel. Most likely it would sound like %$#& when compared to the real thing unless it's simply an accent or fast single bar in front of what you may be doing. I wouldn't use it as an ending or anywhere it would call attention.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Even if it's for a few parts in a song, looks like there's a good reason to learn some slap. If not, what's your beef with learning something new?

16. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    IMO, there's no need to EQ differently for slap at all. Especially if you are just going to slap a few bars here and there.

What you are asking is a bit strange IMO. Just play fingerstyle, pluck hard and it will be fairly close as already mentioned. Or suck it up and learn how to slap, it's not that hard. OR let the keyboard player play those parts.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There's really no "effect" that can simulate this. You just have to do it with your hands.

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The usual effects for slap bass would be compressors, limiters, exciters, EQ pedals, and if desired envelope filters, bass synths, wah pedals, and any modulation pedals like chorus, flangers, and phasers.

19. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    You can use some envlope filter or synth bass, but off course nothing will give you the right slap bass. Play It!
    Cheers. Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite