1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slap transducer position? HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Griff_1312, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Griff_1312

Griff_1312

Nov 24, 2018
    Hey folks!
    New member and first time posting, I've come here for a bit of advice from someone who may have abit more knowledge then my self.
    Pretty much I've been playing rockabilly double bass for sometime now using a make shift transducer I made myself in the wing of the bridge, recently bought myself a new bass and a new pick (a dual pick up with a wing transducer and a behind the neck transducer for slaps).
    Me being like an excited school kid I jumped straight in and put the pickup on attatching the neck transducer directly behind where I slap... know the question is have I put the transducer in the correct position? My initial thinking was bigger and better volume but I'm not really getting a "slap" sound? It's more of a low bass thud everytime I slap? Any thoughts out be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

2. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    You will need to remove the lower frequencies in order to get a sound that works. My .02

cdavisshannon likes this.
  3. Placement of the click transducer is critical.

Buy a roll of 3M double sided tape, and have fun!

cdavisshannon likes this.
  4. Do you have a preamp with separate inputs?

5. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Mine sounds best dead center just above the scoop on the underside of the fingerboard but trying different areas will get you a different sound. Did you also tape the cable? I was getting a strange bass thud no matter where I put it until I taped the wire down for the whole length of fingerboard.

6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    1) If you aren't using a dual channel pre-amp to blend your two piezo channels, you probably aren't picking up sound from the fingerboard piezo, the sound you're hearing is probably being produced by the bridge wing piezo. You can verify which piezo(s) are active by simply touching either piezo with your finger while the amp is hot, you'll hear your finger rubbing the piezo.

2) As Jason has indicated, the wire for the fingerboard piezo needs to be somehow anchored so that it won't rattle and produce noise on its own. I use a self-adhesive velcro sandwich attached under and for the length of the fingerboard overhang to contain both the fingerboard piezo and its wire. It works very nicely, and the piezo and the wire positions can be changed very easily without having to replace piezo adhesive.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I agree with both the placement of the klick Pickup. I’ve been putting as in the same place as jasonrp since 1999/2000.
    You can use any tape to tape the wire under the fingerboard. I personally use Gorilla Tape. And of course a two channel pre is absolutely necessary.