1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slaving Solid State and A Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Ok checked all the threads didn't get the answer i was looking for....

If you have a tube amp and a solid state amp and wanted a slave set up

which amp would you slave and why?

2. Well I've NEVER done this, but I DO know that the TUBE amp HAS to have a correct impedance(ohms) load on it BEFORE it's turned on- or U can burn up the Pwr transformer or sumthin' = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So whichever U do make sure U got a correct impedance speaker attached to the tube amp B4 U do ANYTHING else!!

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Depends entirely upon which specific amps you have, and what inputs and outputs they have. It depends on which amp's pre-amp you like the sound of better. But NEVER plug a speaker output into anything except a speaker cabinet. For example, if you had an old black-faced 45 watt Fender Bassman and a new Eden WT-550, I wouldn't use either one as slave nor master. That's a case of needing a Y-cord and running each amp separately. Why? Because the Fender only gives you instrument level inputs and speaker outputs. No reason to run any of the Eden's pre-amped signal into the Fender's front end, and you'll blow up the Fender trying to connect the speaker outs to anything except speakers.

Now if it was a new style tube amp with effects loops, or pre-amp outputs and power amp inputs, then you could do it. But it's gotta be stuff that'll work together.

There's no specific generic answer.

jte

4. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    nothing vintage here

Traynor and a Hartke....

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Be more specific. Which Traynor, and which Hartke. What kinds of outs/ins do each have?

6. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Traynor YBA 200-2
    Hartke HA-3500

both have effects loops and line out

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know about that. If you wanted the Fender pre into the Eden power, couldn't you plug your bass into the 1st input, and then run a line from the second "input" on the Fender to either: the line in on the Eden, or the FX return of the Eden ?

I think the first would give you both the gain stage of the Fender pre and the gain + power of the Eden. The second way would give you the Fender pre/gain and the Eden power section (which might be pretty cool). Of course, given my pitiful knowledge of these amps, it could also blow them both up. :oops:

As I said, I don't really know, and I have not done it, but I think it is possible.

now, lets see what the real experts have to say .. shall we? :cool:

8. stikkydixx

stikkydixx

Apr 12, 2009
    Get a splitter. Hosa Makes a passive that works great. Take the send from the tube pre ( if that's the sound you want ) patch the splitter back into the tube return and to the SS input.
    No interferance with the tube tone or power.
    I learned this from a brief stint as a guitar player with all tube amps...I know...i sinned..i fell astray from the bass.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Nope- The two jacks on the Fender are merely paralleled together with a resistor on them- it's electrically the same as having a Y cord except that plugging ANYthing into the #2 jack sends all the signal through the resistor to cut the volume. But none of the signal at either jack is after the first gain stage of the amp and so none of what the Fender is doing gets to the Eden.

For the OP- if both amps have FX send/returns then try it both ways. Plug your bass into one of them. Hook up a sheilded (guitar cord) from the FX SEND of the master amp to the FX return of the second amp. That way the pre-amp of the first amp controls what's going to the power amp of both amps. If you don't like how the Hartke sounds driving the Traynor, try it the other way 'round. Just make sure you have both amps plugged in to separate speakers, and that you're using good guitar cords.

jte

10. i did this with my set up recently. yeah, just make sure your cabs are set up right. switch the impedance to whatever matches the cab to your YBA200. i plugged directly into my YBA, then used the preamp output on the front panel, (you can do pre or post eq.) and i put that to the input of my 450 watt solidstate. i put overdrive on one, and clean on the other. on also delivered more bass than the other, which made for a very interesting sound. go with the traynor first, that way you can choose whether or not you want the preamp section of it to affect the signal into your hartke.

11. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Hendrix/Led Zeppelin producer Eddie Kramer specialized in slaving amps
    to get some of those legacy tones.

Here in this clip circa '92 my friend Johnny Tsak has two Bradshaw modded Marshalls
    slaved to a 500 watt SS amp. Not sure of the brand.
    Eddie is sitting in front of the drummer.