Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jan 19, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I'm just a straight bass>cord>amp kinda guy. My cover band is talking about covering Sledgehammer. Any idea what effects are used on that? I'm thinking octave pedal and chorus maybe?

2. it's an octave pedal, but Tony Levin also plays it with a set of sawed off drumsticks taped to his fingers. they're called "Funk Fingers". They are out of production now, but you can get the same effect by making your plucking wrist go limp, and hammering the string down near the last fret with you r callus.

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Cool. Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought.

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Actually...I am not too sure if an octaver is present on "Sledgehammer"...and certainly Funk Fingers are not.
    Tony actually plays ( or I should say played) that line with a pick on a fretless Music Man Sabre (w/graphite neck).
    Live he has used this bass..or a fretless MM StingRay.
    Pick, fretless, and judicious finger vibrato may be a more accurate call than a pedal....
    ...at least that works for me when I play that tune.

Max

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I listened to it on the way to work this morning. Definitely a fretless, no funk fingers. I think there is an octave thing happening though.

6. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    Stingray and an Akai Deep Impact pedal works for me

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to play that tune in a cover band a few years ago, and sounded great with a fretted bass using an octave pedal, played with fingers or a pick.

Though, to be "proper", Tony Levin used his fretless Sabre and a pick with an octaver on the original recording AND live shows.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    There's a preset on my GT6B called sledgehammer, I'll have a butchers when I get home and try an post up what fx it contains.