Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sleepers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubster, Apr 9, 2004.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    In most markets there are products that are priced well below their real value. Sometime it is a new manufacturer entering the market trying to launch a new product, in other cases an under-appreciated product that has been around for a while and though good, has not received recognition and so remains under priced, especially on the used market.

So, enough of the Economics 101 ...............

What basses do you consider are under-valued and a great deal, either NEW or USED?

I'll tell you mine when the auction is over!!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D

I'll add to Bassart1's list to say pre soundgear Ibanez Basses
    (mine hit NJ @ 6am but won't be delivered till Monday :( )

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    A lot of the "Boutique Basses" can be had at some outrageous deals just because the owners need to move them fast to get cash. If they were more well known, they would command a much higher dollar value. One that comes to mind right away for me would be Acacia basses. They seem to be of the highest quality basses that I have played, but they can be had at some ungodly low prices. Other brands that I keep my eyes out for are Elrick's, G&L's, Lulls, and Roscoe's.

4. RMay

RMay

Dec 5, 2003
    Colorado
    I believe used G&Ls, Guild Pilots, USA Laklands, EB Sterlings and Stringrays are under priced. There are some great deals available on used unpopular basses.

5. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Nordstrand - I think the prices will go up in the future - the basses are just too good...

Pedulla Thunderbolt or Rapture basses - Used Pedullas go for around or under $1000 (most of the time). A Pedulla will smoke almost anything in that price range (in my opinion)

6. since when! do you mean used?

7. I got my Reverend Rumblefish XL for $360 and my (USA) Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass for $399. Both were used, but I think these are remarkable prices for these 2 basses. I know G & L's are great deals on the used market also.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Peavey t-40s are one of the best deals in a great sounding vintage american made bass that kicks the poop out of alot of usa fenders from the same era and can usually be had for 200-300 bucks or less(i have seen them go for as little as 150). I recently bought one and it kicks. Also some of the early (USA made)foundation series and other basses were really well made variations on basic fender themes that can now be had for less than 200 bucks just make sure it's a usa model, the newer overseas ones are a good deal, but the old usa models are much better. On ebay right now there are several examples of this. Just search for Peavey in the bass guitar section.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In the $750 - $1300 category, used Pedullas are about the best value.

Over $1300, used Alembics are insane values.

People who buy either of these new and then sell them usually take a financial beating.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Ibanez ATK. You can get them for anywhere from 200.00 to 400.00, typically, and many people who sell them on ebay don't really know what they have, often causing them to dump them for nothing.

I can't say enough about this bass.

11. That would be indicated by the fact that "used" appears in his post. :D

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As for the guys that I work with, I'd have to agree with dabshire's nod to Nordstrand. However, I'd say that the best deal would be the relatively straightforward, no-frills NJ model. Once you start getting fancy, the "value" factor is somewhat diminished by the fact that you're spending money on cosmetics...the tone, build quality, and playability essentially stay the same. Another guy that I've been very impressed with is Mark Eshenbaugh. Again, an Eshenbaugh J Series is the best deal in my opinion. The "bang for the buck" diminishes when you start adding options, exotic figured woods, laminates, wood pickup covers, upgraded electronics packages, etc.

Otherwise, I've always thought that Peavey basses were a great deal. I don't care for them personally, but they have a full line of well-build instruments made right here in the goold ole US of A. Yamaha has traditionally been a very good, and often overlooked, brand as well. I'd also throw Ibanez and Carvin into the mix, and the Fender MIM line is pretty much the standard for beginner jazz basses these days. I've yet to try one of the new KSD basses, but if you get a good one, they look like they could eat up some Skyline market share. ;)

All-in-all, the best valued in the lower end of the market seem to be the larger companies that focus on making quality utilitarian instruments, and the best deals in the high-end market are from new guys who might not have a large advertising budget or might not have picked up a famous sponsor/high-profile user yet...and there are a fair number of builders out there who fit into this category.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin. Small ish company, althoguh respected. Canadian but assembled in New Hampshire. Guitars and basses are amazing.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I had one and i agree very much, Hamer and G&L.

15. DeArmond basses. For example my ash 4 string Pilot Deluxe with 3 band EQ, neck-through construction etc. should only cost you $200-300 used. But, they're not very easy to find. They aren't being produced anymore, Fender killed the brand AND the line of basses :mad:

16. For new, a lot of the new import stuff is unbelievable. The Dean Edge Pro, and Razor NT are sweet. Although I heard they're discontinuing the Razor NT.

The Dean Edge Pro has a brass nut, gold hardware, Grover tuners, Bad Ass bridge, Active EQ, Neck thru, with flame maple top and back, for like $550.

17. If I had a secret stash of cash, I'd buy up every used F bass on the market.

18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Great thread guys-- I'm all about finding the great bass values. Here is a quick list of my $.50 dollars:

Ibanex ATKs
    Ibanez Roadstars
    Ibanez Musicians
    G&L Tributes (Deluxe)
    Aria Pro II SB's (these will be seriously collectable one day)
    Brice Basses
    Peavey T-40
    Peavey Foundation
    Peavey DynaBass
    Peavey TLs
    Yamaha BBs
    Heartfields
    Carlos Robelli
    Wishbasses (if you get one with acceptable wood work)

:bassist:

19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Besides those already mentined, who are some of the lesser-known "value" custom luthiers???