Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sliding Harmonics

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by como_kenyatta, Dec 1, 2003.

1. como_kenyatta

como_kenyatta

Sep 2, 2003
    Hey, I just saw Alien Ant Farm live at Central Michigan, and was confronted with a technique I've seen Wooten and others use, but have never figured out how to do. Bassist Tye Zamora slides a harmonic from low to very high at the beginning of the song "Glow." I know it's not just on fretless, cause Vic does it all the time. How the heck do you do it?!?!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's really really easy on a fretless, you just hit the harmonic then slide up the neck, viola.

on a fretted, it's quite a bit trickier.

it requires swift and delicate shifting up(or down) the neck, with very precise timing.

it's essentially the same as on a fretless, just with more attention to your touch and to not apply too much pressure.

consistently I can slide harmonics about 2 or 3 frets up or down. Once I slid a harmonic up about an octave on a fretted, but I haven't been able to recreate it consistently.

harmonics, require a lot of attention to your touch; attack, pressure, finger placement..etc.

oh yeah, that's doing it with your fingers, Many bassists have Whammy bars on their basses, Vic has one on his classic Fodera, Les Claypool has a couple too.

those enable you to bend harmonics fairly easily.

3. Here's how you do it:

Play harmonic.

Press down on string (not enough to make a "hammer-on" sound of the fretted note)

Slide up/down.

Viola!

4. Uh, guys, that's "voilà". "Viola" is an instrument.

Like WR said, that's pretty easy on a fretless, but I could never really achieve it on a fretted.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    listen to ombudsman, viola!

nyuck nyuck nyuck
    :p

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Does anyone know the actual reason why it's so difficult to do on a fretted? The string never comes in contact with the frets when playing harmonics, so I never knew why.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    because when you slide it you have to depress the string, on a fretless it actually touches the neck, not initially, but once you start sliding it does.

now when you do it on a fretted, with each fret it diminishes the strength of the harmonic.

I guess... :meh:

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I find it easier to do a false harmonic and slide it that way. Your finger is already pressed down on the fret. You can bend them or slide them with ease.

Just a thought! :)