Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sliding

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    Im having trouble sliding on something like 3-4 or 2-4 at a pretty fast speed and making it sound clean. Any practice tips.

2. Umm...slide your arm faster. Anyone can slide the entire neck in half a second, you just need to move your arm quicker.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lighter touch, less noise.

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    put some plastic sheeting on the floor. Cover it with soapy water, and you'll be moonwalking your entire set.

5. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I've noticed that for any two people who offer a good piece of advice there's someone who offers crap advice on TB.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    If you are playing with your thumb over the top of the neck move it down and slide it along the middle of the neck. Proper technique always with the left hand lets you do what anyone else does. Usually rather easily.

tk

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

thks, very helpful post yourself. :eyebrow: :rollno:

I agree a lighter touch will help. In addition, to assist in speed and timing use a Metronome.

8. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    I agree with Garett Mireles.

I'm basically a beginner too,so I don't post.

9. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan

pardon me for having some fun at my own expense. :rolleyes:

10. ondray

ondray

Jun 3, 2004
    Would like to share my experience on slidings.

Firstly, I use the one finger per fret method for my fretting hand. So when position correctly, the thumb on the fretting hand is behind the neck nearly opposite the middle finger. Am not sure if this is the correct term for it but I call it the box position.

So when i do slides, I always "slide" into box positions. This helps prevent awkard stretches, helps to connect the notes after a slide and it allows a riff to sound smooth.

My lessons on sliding into positions was when I was learning the song called Feel So Good by Jamiroquai. The sliding appears on the synth bass part of the song.

Hope that helps.

Andre