slight neck dive on a Sadowsky: uncommon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Mar 18, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I greatly love my new Sadowsky 4 string J bass(#3908)...incredible tone, great playability, expert craftsmanship

one thing I noticed though, is that it isn't perfectly balanced. it has a slight neck dive. not a huge deal in that with a Confort Strapp its not even noticeable, but I do play sitting down sometimes and I can tell then....not what I expected in getting a Sadowsky

so, is this fairly common or very uncommon? am I being too picky...

everyone says that EVERY Sadowsky has incredible tone, so the thought crossed my mind to trade in/sell this one and get a different Sadowsky, HOWEVER its my only bass so I can't exactly ship it off to NYC (got tons of gigs and sessions coming up), can't afford to buy another one right despite that, its still the best bass I've ever

advice/feedback appreciated
  2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    just to be clear: I bought this bass used. So the wonderful Sadowsky 7 day tryout period doesn't apply here...

again the tone is so incredible that I am hesitant to just try to get another Sadowsky, although (again) from what I understand all Sadowsky basses have incredible tone

I had a Fodera VW Monarch before that balanced perfectly, sitting down when I put it on my leg it just sat there without me touching it...the kicker though is that the TONE of that Fodera wasn't even in the same ballpark as this Sadowsky. Now I understand that tone is very subjective but still TO ME it wasn't even close to what I have...are most Sadowsky Modern J basses like that (perfect balance) and mine is an exception?
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just threw my Vintage 4, Metro 4, Tokyo 5, Valenti 5, G&L L-2000 & Schecter Model T on my lap.

When I'm sitting all my basses seem to have a similar dive as you are describing. Strapped on, fine. :)
  4. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    All Fender J-style basses dive in the seated position--probably because the lower bout is towards the rear of the bass. (A small price to pay for the tone.)
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Aren't the Sadowsky bodies smaller than Fenders?
  6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thanks for your responses. much appreciated. As I said its an incredible bass. the best tone I've ever heard
  7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    so as far as this amazing tone, can I expect that in just about every Sadowsky I buy? (already GASS'ing up for Sadowsky bass #2)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My guess is the shape of the body contriputes to it but i was also thinking Roger's bodys run pretty light so that with a heavyier neck might do it. THey do have some sweet tone to them.
  9. Pretty much.

Don't worry about GASing for Sadowsky. It doesn't every really happend. Just ask Nino, Rader, Fhodshon, Bikeplate, Ari, or me after having placed an order for my 6th Sadowsky.
  10. JazzBassAce

Feb 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    I'm amazed there isn't more online on this topic! So 9 years on from the last post I thought I'd reply anyway!
    I find neck dive a real nuisance and can really hamper my playing - can confirm my early 90's NYC Sadowsky has it too - must be due to the chambered body. My main bass is a bolted together jazz bass with 70's USA pickups and the weight distribution is 100% perfect (miles better than the sadowsky). Won't be trying any others as for me, some great jazz bass pickups are superior - my sadowsky just isn't as strong in the tone department.
  11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I might be wrong, but I don't think they started chambering the bodies until the 2000's.
  12. Neck dive is the new restless leg syndrome. :rollno:

After coffee, I need to get out my acoustic guitar and see if it dives while sitting. I'm sure it does, but not if my forearm is in playing position. Same with a bass.

Why all the crying about basses diving while in the seated position? Most of them will and always have. They did when most of us started playing also but everyone is up in arms about it suddenly.

1) Try having two straps, one for standing, one shorter for sitting. That may help the dive.

2) Play standing.

3) Get a boutique medium scale bass. Mine balances perfect while sitting or standing.

4) There's always drums or woodwinds.

Players in the past probably didn't whine about dive too much. And the old-timey cure for restless leg syndrome was a daily walk.
  13. Nice resuscitation! There are new threads about this all the time and this blended right in! Well done, sir!
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heh, I posted that back in 2004. It's now 2013 (really?!) and I own 3 Sadowskys, all 5-string P-basses with full-size bodies. They are all chambered alder and fairly lightweight, but I have zero trouble with neck dive on any of them, even when using a 2" nylon strap.
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Too picky. Bass sounds like heaven? You keep it. Don't be silly. Lol. I've owned 30 sadowsky's. they are killer. Don't sell a bass that had your perfect tone. You'll hate yourself after
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

I've had 6 Sadowskys now, none with a neck dive issue.