Small, $100-or-so mixer.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Armchair Thief, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm shopping around for what's stated up there in the topic, just for some basic mixing (computer audio output, instrument in, drum machine, etc.) Don't need too many channels (I'm not gonna be miking up a drum kit and a horn section or anything.) I've kinda narrowed it down to either an Alesis MultiMix 6FX or a Yamaha MG10/2. Anyone have any horror stories about either of these? Or any other suggestions?
  2. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't know how the feature sets might compare, but Behringer mixers are generally hard to beat for the situation you describe in terms of bang for the buck. I have an MX602 (smallest one they make, $59 new), and it has been exactly what I wanted.
  3. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Get the Yamaha. I have the MG12/4 and it's excellent for the money.
  4. The general rule of thumb is that if possible you MUST stay away from Behringer UNLESS you want NOISY SIGNAL PATH, EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY, LOW QUALITY, LOW RELIABILITY. In your price range the best thing for you would be a Yamaha, then, second to that, an Alesis. The best thing for you to do, if possible, would be to save up a few more dollars and get a Mackie. They are the BEST compact mixers and no other brand can compare in ANY aspect. An excellent Mackie mixer is the DFX-6. It has four Mic(XLR) inputs, CD/Tape input, two stereo effects loops, excellent built-in effects, sliding faders, master EQ, individual EQ for each channel, and Master XLR outs (L/R) as well as TRS Master outs (L/R)
  5. mojoman566

Jan 18, 2003
    I know you get crucified for mentioning Behringer around here, but they do have some nice little mixers for under $100. Check out some of the sellers on e-bay. There are some good deals there.
  6. Cheap is cheap, there is a reason that behringer mixers are the cheapest. read the quote.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, there is a reason. They are not the best, but for someone that does not have the funds for a mackie or some other good brand name, it will work just fine.

I've NEVER had the problems you have mentioned above with behringer mixers. They have always done what they are made to do, mix. Now, their amps are just plain crap, but their other audio stuff, while not great, does get the job done. If you want something you will keep forever, save your money, if you need a mixer right now, get a cheap mixer.
  8. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I FINALLY found a use for my Behringer UB502 that I happy with. It was unacceptable as a practice headphone amp, and as mixer for music, but today at church I used it as a headphone amp so the mic that I have on my headphones gets a signal to the headphones the computer and light operator wears. THat way, I can give them stage direction. (I am the A/V director, but I also play bass, so I need to be able to talk to the booth during the service. This is the first thing I have used the behringer for that it acted satisfactory.